Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Our Stories

I often find myself trying to figure things out....some of little importance and some of great importance.  Of course I guess the "importance" part would vary depending on who is trying to figure these things out.  I'm an observer, and yes I'll admit I eavesdrop a lot, but it's not usually intentional....but if someone is talking really loudly beside me....well I'm gonna listen. So consider yourself warned.  I've been teaching in high school for five weeks now, and y'all I could write a book on the ins and outs, comings and goings, relationships, all the things really.  I'm definitely not in preschool anymore. 😜There are certain students who are a complete mystery to me, yet I've created their story in my head just by observing.  Then there are students who leave nothing to the imagination, but...as we know, not everything is always as it seems; so again I've created their story in my head.  I'm not always detail oriented, but then again sometimes I am over the top with details.  For example, photographs...I usually pay close attention to the details surrounding the subject, however sometimes I don't notice if the subject's necklace is crooked, they have lipstick on their teeth or toilet paper on their shoe.  When I'm hanging something on the wall, I rarely measure it out perfectly; I'm more likely to eyeball it, hammer in a nail and go for it. I like to think of things like this as more "organic". 😉  If a person is extremely kind and accepting, I don't usually question that.  However if a person seems belligerent, judgmental or gossipy (especially to someone I love); I often wonder why and form all kinds of detail oriented scenarios in my head.  But I've realized, especially lately, that we just don't know everyone's story; and to keep from jumping to conclusions....sometimes you just have to let it be....even if they are trying to put you in a story you don't want to be in.  Realizing that you may not know their story means they probably don't know yours.  It seems that behaviors that are directed specifically towards you may not even be about you, but more likely about the  them.  There are so many things that I don't understand (politics, anger, racism, religion), and I bet you don't either.  Instead of being in a state of constant dismay and confusion over someone else's actions, remember you may not know all the details and simply move on.  It really is that simple. You know who you are! If you don't, it might be a good time to do some soul searching and try to figure out your own personal story.  I've spent the last few years figuring out my story.  Outside circumstances have changed my story, but the one thing I've figured out is who I am in each part of my story.  I mess this up a lot and find myself jumping to conclusions, but I know who I am in every detail.  This is what always brings me back to what I can control....my actions and reactions and realizing most things aren't even about me but about them trying to figure out who they are in this part of their story.  So maybe we need to focus more on what know....kindness and love are some of the best details in all of our stories.

No comments: