Wednesday, February 17, 2021

No Power or All The Power!

 Today is Ash Wednesday.  It is also the middle of one of the worst winter storms Texas has seen.  The roads are dangerous, and millions of households are without power.  Due to these circumstances, our first in person church service since October, has been moved to virtual.  As disappointed as I am, I completely understand why.  Not only is it dangerous to drive, but we are being asked to conserve energy to help get power back to the millions who are without.  We spent 45 hours over the last 2 days with no power...not even a flicker. Because we don't have gas stove, fireplace, etc.; our house was 28 degrees inside...which was a lot warmer than outside, but it sure didn't feel like it.  We made the decision to vacate....it wasn't safe for us or our pets.  We were so blessed to have many reach out and offer assistance:  food, showers, hot drinks, groceries, generators and places to stay.  We ended up at some friends' house, who live not far from us, but never lost power.  We met them a few years ago, when Addi was nannying her twins.  So although we know her and call her friend, Neil and I don't know her that well.  We humbly and graciously accepted the invitation.  She fed us, let us shower, provided each of us a bed to sleep in; and she let us bring our dogs.  In a time such as this, it was a gift.  I am overwhelmed with gratitude especially when there are people who have lost their lives and have no place to go.

Our power came on late last night, and we headed home this afternoon.  I think she was going to open up her house to others who are doing without as soon as we left, and she made sure we knew we were welcome back to shower (we don't have hot water) or if the power went out again.  I promised we would pay it forward.  God took that promise very seriously, and on our way home; Addi received a message of a friend in need.  A pipe broke leaving her house in 6 inches of water, while she is out of town, and her husband is home alone to try to figure out how to get all of their stuff out of the house in freezing temps and 3 feet of snow.  Neil and Addi loaded up the water pump and headed over as soon as we got home.  

  Through the last 24 hours, I have been frustrated, frightened and angry.  It is 2021 in one of the richest countries in the world, but people have died due to lack of electricity and preparation by our state.  It makes no sense.  However I have also felt deep to my core gratitude and witnessed the amazing beauty of service.  God reminded me that we are not in control of much, but we can control our reactions.  So earlier as I began to share an article, that pointed out all the ways our state has let us down during this time, I felt the nudge in the direction of gentleness instead.  I do believe there needs to be some accountability for  those who have suffered loss of life and property, and I will support them.  However I don't think adding fuel to that fire will make it any better for them.  I believe my role is to encourage, love and offer assistance in the best ways I can; as well as, continuing to pray for our state and country.  It's been through a lot lately too.  So yes Jesus, I hear you when you say we are not in control, we don't always understand why you allow things to happen, but we know the ultimate power comes from you.

No comments: