Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Sermon Summary-PASSION

PASSION- An English definition: strong amorous feeling or desire, LOVE
PASSION- A Latin definition: sacrifice.
What are you passionate about? Have you found it yet? One of the things Pastor John mentioned today during his sermon was this....you don't have to be passionate about your job, but you can bring what you are passionate about through to your job. I had never really thought about that much, although I know many people who are not passionate about their jobs. I also never thought about the fact that there might be people (mainly adults) who haven't found something they're passionate about. One of the other things he mentioned, that I found to be a valuable piece of information to me personally, is that even if you know what you're passionate about; it doesn't mean that you are passionate about it every second of every day. WHEW....thank goodness....because there are days when I don't feel very passionate about anything. Maybe I'm odd, because I have several things that I'm passionate about....several! The thing that I'm most passionate about is being a mother, but yes there are days when I feel a little burned out or unsuccessful or worried that I'm not doing it right.
The week between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday is referred to as Passion Week. If we think about passion in the terms of "sacrifice", we can certainly see why it would be called that. On the other hand, if we think about passion in the terms of "love"; we can certainly see why it would be called that a well. Jesus loved us so much that he sacrificed his life for us.....PASSION! What are you passionate about, in both meanings? In other words, what do you love so much that you would sacrifice a part of yourself for it? Through the burn out, failures, uncertainties of being a mother; I know without a doubt that I love it so much that I would willingly sacrifice a piece of myself for it. It's a "job" that I'm fortunate enough to be passionate about and to bring my passion to. John encouraged us to let our light shine through our passions. Can I tell you that is my main goal in life for my children....not so much as to shine my light, but for them to see the light of Christ shine through me? Can I also tell you how difficult that can be, because there are days of burn out, failures and uncertainties. But thank God....literally....that there is also mercy, grace and forgiveness. I encourage you to shine the light of Christ through your passion. Use it to glorify Our Father!

"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16

No comments: