Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019....Here You Are!!

Happy New Year!  WOW!!! I can't believe a year has passed. Sometimes I think time goes really slow but mostly I feel like it's speeding by.  I've been reflecting a lot, lately, well actually I reflect a lot anytime I have a spare moment.  This morning I was sitting in my quiet house all alone while everyone was sleeping (except Cal, who was upstairs).  I was thinking about the seasons of life and how this past year, was the last one for the current season.  This time next year, I'll have 3 adult children and 2 college students.  Watching my babies grow up into these amazing humans, and I'm so excited to see how life unfolds for them all but still....like what?  I cannot believe they are growing up so fast.  I'll share a little secret....I find myself staring at any of them, all dazed and confused, as to how they ever fit in my belly.   Where did those babies go?  You may think that's weird, and I bet they will to; but really it's an amazing gift....this thing called LIFE!  Now I need to hold a baby....STAT....but I digress!!
 I don't make resolutions, because I just don't.  But a few years ago, I decided to be more intentional in some things each day.  I don't get it right every day, but I can say that I do try!!  These are some of the daily things I attempt:  to send my girls an encouraging quote, scripture, I LOVE YOU and YOU'RE AMAZING message each day, to kiss my husband every morning and night, to ask Cal the best part of his day and really listen to his reply, to relish in the moments and times the 7 of us spend together, to be more gentle (that's a work in progress), to be more spontaneous, to extend grace and love openly and just because it's what Jesus would do.  I've tried to not take things personally, to forgive myself and others, not sweat the small stuff, remember to thank God each morning my eyes open, comfort those who need comforting, look people in the eye and listen, hold onto hope, step outside my comfort zone in the name of Jesus, say "NO" to things I cannot do without grumbling, make a difference in the world,  don't let life pass me by and if I think something nice about someone....make sure and tell them.  I'll be honest....I find myself really really tired and overwhelmed by so much negativity and hate in the world (and I don't even read or watch the news), so I'm going to reach for the positives, for peace, for good!  One of the ways I have found to do this is to follow the lead of my children.  When they have an idea of how to make a difference, I need to always always always say "YES"!  Another way is to just let go of things that are weighing me down.  It's hard for me to do, so I have to work really hard. I saw these on social media these last few days, and I think this is a good place to start!  The first is by author, Morgan Harper Nichols The second is by my friend, Kathy Baker. Happy New Year!!  Bring it on 2019!


No comments: