Sunday, November 12, 2023

My Love For Church

 About 2 years ago, I started attending a new church.  It was new for me, because I had attended the same church for almost 24 years at the time.  It was new for the church, because...well...it was a new church that had opened about 9 months before I started attending.  Over the last 2 years, I'll admit that I have not always gone in person on Sundays for various reasons. If I did not attend, I would spend my Monday conference period at school listening to the sermon while I worked.  Church has been the start of my week for over 20 years.  I fell in love with the pastors, Joy and Elizabeth, and the heart of the church.  It was the first time I had been in church in over a decade where I felt 100% accepted and loved.  There was no pettiness or hidden agenda, there was LOVE.  I will admit that I did not serve on any committees or behind the scenes at this church, because of the ugliness I had encountered previously.  I wanted a space that was pure, and although I know that no church is pure; this one felt that way to me.  Today they closed the doors on that space for the last time, and although I am so incredibly sad and disappointed; I am extremely grateful.  I met two of the most incredible leaders I have ever known.  They are two of the wisest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, who share themselves and their calling better than just about anyone I have ever met.  The only other teacher who helped me connect with God as well was my pastor, Ken Diehm.  Church has been a hard place for me for many years.  For a long time, it was my favorite place to be.  Then for a long time, it was not.  Over the last 2 years, it had once again become a place I longed for and looked forward to.  I know a building is not necessary to worship and feel connection, but I am a person who likes being physically in a community of people to worship and feel connected.  Some of my best friends and my kids' best friends have come from attending church.  I'm not sure where I'll be next Sunday or the next or the one after that, but I know I will hold onto the welcome space this church brought me after so many years of feeling out of place.  Thank you Uptown Church, Joy and Elizabeth...because of you I fell in love with church again. 

Well Done, Good And Faithful Servant!

Matthew 25:23

No comments: