Wednesday, June 26, 2019

DO NOT QUENCH THE SPIRIT

I had many many God moments last week on my first ever high school mission trip with CTCYM.  I have had them rotating through my very tired brain a lot. My favorite scripture is 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19: "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  Do not quench the spirit."
When I started thinking about going on mission trip a few months ago,  I knew God would make a way.  Over these last few months and especially this last week, I kept hearing God tell me DO NOT QUENCH THE SPIRIT. When I nearly backed out at the last minute, because my boy was crying before we left; I heard Him say, "HE WILL BE FINE HERE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE HIM SO MUCH!  GO AND SHARE MY LOVE!  DO NOT QUENCH THE SPIRIT!"  So I went, and my boy had a great week.   When I was worried about being so exhausted that I wouldn't be able to focus and be of much help, again God said; "IT'S ONE WEEK!  YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS FOR ONE WEEK! DO NOT QUENCH THE SPIRIT!"  So I went, and the girls in my room were amazing and craved a good night's sleep as much as I did; and I had more energy than I do on a normal day.  When I thought that I might not connect with my team, God said; "GO!  TALK TO THE KIDS AND LISTEN TO THEM TOO!  GET TO KNOW THEM ON A LITTLE DEEPER LEVEL!  THERE WILL BE CONNECTION!"  So I went, and there was.  All of the students on my team (except one who just graduated) will be at Grapevine High School next year which also happens to be where I work.  We discussed how we would wave when we see each other in the hallways and got to know each other's interests and a few insecurities as well.  When I worried that the heat and my own health struggles might be too much for me, and I may let my team down; God said, "GO!  I WILL KEEP YOU STRONG!  DO NOT QUENCH THE SPIRIT!"  So I went and it was HOT, but most of our work was under a covered porch; and my body persevered. Then Drew told me about one of her God moments from last week.  One week ago today, she had been thinking all day about how it might seem like a big "sacrifice" to work in the heat, give up a week of our summer and sleep on an air mattress; but she kept thinking about the homeless community and their circumstances (some of which are dire) and last a lot longer than a week.  She said looking at this week as an "I get to do this" rather than "I have to do this" makes you realize that it's not really a big "sacrifice" at all. We are the fortunate ones who "get to do this" and be equally or more blessed than those we serve.  It also happens to be the best week of the year for most of these youth. God showed up big in these moments.  On that particular day, while God was laying the homeless community on her heart once again, I got a message from a dear friend of ours who was able to secure a team of attorneys to help us start a 501c3 non profit for Yellow Bag Project.  We had a conference call this morning, and the steps are now in motion.  God continues to reveal Himself through people we know and those we don't.
My people, who have gone on mission trips, for many years always come back saying it's the best week of their year.  I have always wanted to experience this with them, but was always needed more at home.  I'm extremely grateful for all of you who made it possible for me to go and for all of the people who do all the planning and preparing for these trips, because now I completely understand why it is the best week of their year.  I get it!!  Praises! And on a side note, our washing machine which was currently not working well when we left, miraculously has been hanging in there and manhandling all the stinky things that 5 people bring home from a week of real bad sweating.  Bless!

No comments: