Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Uncluttering Makes Me Happy

I've been nesting, and I'm not even expecting; but I've been nesting as if I were! It's so refreshing to get rid of stuff....so much stuff....that we don't need....that's still good stuff.....but we just don't need it. I was talking on the phone with my mom today, and she said something that made me really happy. She said that she realizes that even though she may have trouble paying her bills, at least she has a home and clothes and food. It's hard to imagine the poorest person in America...it's hard to imagine people living on $80/month....it's hard to imagine being homeless or hungry! It's hard to imagine....I've been thinking about how blessed we are to live in America. I don't think this because we have stuff, but I think this because we have so many choices that other people in other parts of the world don't. As I was talking to my mom today....I told her that even though we have really tight finances....we have a lot! I mean we really have a lot....there's a lot of stuff we could definitely do without which is one of the reasons why I'm getting rid of stuff. We also have a lot of stuff that someone else could definitely benefit from which again is one of the reasons why I'm getting rid of stuff. We live in an old house which didn't have closets, so when we moved in; we made this little breezeway room our closet. It's HUGE....I mean HUGE! In it we have the place for our hanging clothes, and then we have an armoire that also houses clothes. In our bedroom, we have a shiftrobe (look it up if you don't know what it is) that houses clothes and a vanity that houses clothes. I have to admit....I have lots of clothes! I decided last week when I was cleaning out all my girls stuff, so that I could purge the three youngest into one closet, that I didn't need all those clothes. It's ridiculous for me to have all those clothes....shoes, now that's another story ;) (just kidding). I've made it my mission to get rid of the armoire and the vanity and just use the hanging part of our closet and the shiftrobe (remember to look it up if you don't know what this is) for mine and NPayne's clothes and that's still plenty of clothes. I'm not going to say it will be easy, but I feel it's so necessary. After that, I am going through our kitchen and clearing out and getting rid of stuff in there. The living room and bathroom have already been cleared out, and I kid you not when I say the back of my suburban was completely packed full of stuff that was donated! I've always thought that once I get things more organized, I will be much more productive; and I truly believe that is just part of my nature. I can't function when things are a mess, and there is clutter....I end up losing all sorts of things, forgetting all sorts of things, getting so frustrated I can barely stand it, and usually giving up! NPayne and my girls, except Drew....and I think maybe Elliot as she gets older, cannot be bothered with cleaning up and clearing out. Clutter and a mess doesn't really bother them much. It drives Drew and I nutso, and it would drive Cal nutso as well....he is very organized in a sort of chaotic way! Bryna just moved downstairs into Elliot's room, and Drew now has her own room....for the first time really ever...and she is so glad that it will stay clean! That's my girl! So let the clearing out, the uncluttering, the donating continue; and if you are doing the same....YOU GO GIRL or BOY!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I completely agree! I feel so trapped by excess stuff, but we have it. I know that I would feel so relieved to get rid of so much...just got to make myself do it!

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more. I am actually excited about us moving to another house (in Grapevine) so that I can get rid of SO MUCH STUFF in the process! I truly want to live a simpler life, and keep finding myself purging more and more....