Saturday, November 17, 2018

My Babies

These are my babies, even though they don't look like babies, they're my babies.  They are all amazing people for many of the same reasons and many unique ones too.  A few weeks ago, my smack dab in the middle child, Drew was featured on WFAA Daybreak for a ministry and passion she started to help feed homeless people.  

It was a sweet story, and the reporter did a wonderful job.  When he contacted me, I asked Drew about doing the story.  She thought it was cool at first, but when the time was approaching; she got anxious.  She is very much a "behind the scenes" kinda girl and would never want to draw attention to herself.  I told her to try hard to get outside of her own head and realize that this story wasn't about her, but about something much bigger and that it could bring awareness and maybe more funding/volunteers/donations for something she is so passionate about.  She agreed and did an awesome job.  Many people, including the reporter, mentioned how proud I must be of Drew.  I have thought about this a lot, and I am proud....so proud....I'm proud of my kids for many things, but pride isn't what I feel when it has to do with something we all should be doing:  LOVING PEOPLE and CARING FOR PEOPLE. However, I am very proud of her for working through that anxiety and seeing the bigger picture. When you have an anxiety disorder, it can be very difficult to get past the anxiety enough to see the big picture.  I'm also proud of her for encouraging people, including me, to get involved.  

Social media can portray things in certain ways, and although we are a pretty happy family; we are not perfect.  Our family is not perfect, and I, especially, am so so far from perfect. Neil is not perfect, but he's pretty close 😜.  My kids are not perfect....they aren't.  They argue, they leave dishes in the sink, they forget to do their homework, run out of gas, talk back, get mad at me, get mad at each other, etc. They are not perfect.  They falter just like the rest of us.They have made some bad choices, and I know they may make some more; but in the depths of who they are....they are good, compassionate, kind people.  Life isn't alway easy for them.  They have faced some big big challenges:  mental health, physical health, paying for college, bullying (even still), loss of their grandparents, their mom's (that would be me) physical health challenges, exclusion and more; but they are resilient, strong and humble....and that is something that makes me proud.  In the last year, I've seen them deal with situations in such mature, honest and thoughtful ways; and that makes me proud.   Much of their resilience, strength and goodness is just who they are.  Much of it comes from choices we've made as parents in raising them (Neil is truly a rockstar father), much of it comes from their grandparents, much of it comes from you....our village. So many of you have poured so much into our family and our children; and I could never ever ever tell you how grateful I am for that love and support.  So this post is to tell you that, yes, I am proud of my babies and am grateful for the people they are; but it's also to tell you a great big THANK YOU for encouraging and loving these kids.  Our lives aren't perfect, but right now they're good; and we're having fun living them and are really really grateful.

No comments: