Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I'm Kinda Over This Grown Up Business....

I'm kinda in that weird mood I get in right before school starts and right when it is about to end....that overwhelming feeling of all of the money about to be spent, that melancholy feeling of it's over (school or summer), that exhausting feeling of keeping up with reading logs and homework and syllabuses and schedules....Y'all....I just can't, just cannot, I'm just over it.  I don't want to help with homework....I've been out of school for a very very long time, and homework is not my jam.  I'll admit when I was in high school, I was that geeky kid who somewhat enjoyed homework; but now I'm that mama who just DOES NOT!   I want to read books with my kids for pleasure and go on adventures and take walks and sit on the porch swing and water the flowers and just be.  The problem is....school hasn't even started, and I'm already finished.  And the worst part is....it's not like I only have a few more years of dealing with the beginning/ending of school....I have an 8 year old, remember?  People....I'm an educator and was in a classroom for over 20 years.  I love the meat of school.  I just don't love all the condiments.  As it gets moving along, hopefully I'll get back in the swing of things....I always usually do.  As I've been researching different forms, methods, types, beliefs, etc., blah, blah, blah of education....I am just plum tuckered out.  It is so much information, and up until recently I thought I knew what my kids needed.  I am discovering, each kid needs something different from the one before or after....very different; and that my friends is just hard to make happen.  I'm not sure how, but it is my priority to make sure this happens in the next year....each of my children getting the most appropriate education for his/her individual person.   As you know or maybe you don't, but you should if you follow me on Facebook or Instagram or anywhere really....we are moving!  PTL!  And I am excited about it, but again I am just plum tuckered out by this whole process.  Is the money the challenging part?  Not really.  Is the selling the house the challenging part?  I don't think it will be.  Is the finding a house I love the challenging part?  Well kinda, because I am kinda particular and not at all trendy.  Reading the words, "Completely Updated" makes my skin crawl; because I know that means the house is not for me.  Finding a good fixer upper is harder than one might think.  Is the finding the right house that all 7 of us can agree upon the challenging part?  No, however the finding the right house that the 14 year old can get a tad bit excited about has been a little challenging.  But the most challenging part is....wait for it....the schools.  What I'm looking for in a school is darn near impossible to find in the area we can afford, in a house we love, that can suit our needs wants.  Y'all....we have lived in the same rocking house for almost 20 years.  It may be falling apart....but it is still a fabulous, unique, quirky, totally not trendy and not at all "Completely Updated" house.  It is totally my thing.  I mean people, if there was a rockstar category for homes, ours would be in it; and we have no mortgage....so there ya go.  Our schools are good, and the 14 year old likes it here.  All of these things make it difficult to leave, so why would we?  Well there are always 2 sides to a house or a story or whatever, and there are many things that make it easy....at least for me.  Thoughts of peace and quiet and privacy and simplicity make my heart swell up and weepy tears form in my eyes....a calm comes over me that I can only find when I'm at the beach or at my friend, Leslie's, house which is in the middle of nowhere.  The city....well it's just not for me, I cannot catch my breath here like EVER.  Downtime is sitting outside on my front porch watching 25 cars run a few stop signs and speed up and down my street in a matter of 34 seconds....I'm over it! OVER IT!  I am not one bit opposed to being in close proximity to a city, but my soul longs for the country.  It has been my dream my whole life, and I am so so so grateful that my rockstar citified husband has finally crawled kicking and screaming on board.  But people this is hard....finding everything just like we I want it to be: house, money, schools, joyful excited 14 year olds who really just want their own bedroom.  So add the house shopping and the end of summer and the beginning of school and all those stinkin' syllabuses and checks I'll have to write all together and that equals put a fork in me, because I'm kinda over it; and it hasn't even begun.  I don't think I want to adult for the next few months.  Anyone want to do that for me? Pray for a better attitude for me please.

No comments: