Thursday, March 1, 2018

Lost Connection

Every day I become a little more disheartened with the world.  As I sit here in my dark living room, I keep thinking about conversations I've had today, and I'm distraught.  The more I read people's opinions, disagreements, and unkind words on facebook and twitter; the more discouraged I become with social media. The more I think about text conversations I've had, the more I realize how so much is lost when you aren't face to face.  The more I see the perfect lives that people portray, the more I realize how so much of life is misleading.  I had a few conversations, via text, last night that made these realizations even more of a realization.  People can portray themselves however they wish to, via twitter, instagram and facebook.  They can text things that make them sound like the greatest person you've ever met, because they're masked behind a screen.  It seems easier for people to tell you things you want to hear when hiding behind a phone or computer.   Conversations can be misunderstood due to lack of tone and facial expression as well.  And then when the conversation isn't going the way they want, they just end it.  I'll admit I've done this myself, but I never feel good about it.  Leaving someone wondering if you're mad or sad or wondering if they're mad or sad is not a productive conversation.  I don't know the answers....I'm grateful for so much connection I've gotten through social media, but I also know it has directly affected many relationships in the worst possible way as well.  Tonight I had a face to face disagreement with my husband. Although I don't enjoy disagreements, they're inevitable.  Being able to see and hear each other, instead of making assumptions about a text, is much more productive in coming to a resolution.  One thing I believe is that deep and serious conversations aren't meant to be had via text or email.  I'm as guilty as many about doing this, but it is not the way it should be done.  Those kinds of conversations are meant to be had face to face.  I know this makes us introverts very uncomfortable, but sometimes things need to be said while looking someone in the eye and holding their hand.  Connection is one of the things the world is missing, and I think it's a huge part of the problem.  To be honest, I find myself wishing for a time before internet pretty much every single day.

No comments: