Monday, March 4, 2019

ALL ARE WELCOME

I had a conversation this past weekend about the general conference that was held for the Methodist church.  It's been extremely painful, and so many people have been hurt.  In our conversation, the main question was why?  Not why did the vote turn out this way, but why was there even a need for a vote?  This posed by a woman, whom I've known for years, who is searching for a church home.  She was planning on attending her boyfriend's church, which is a Methodist church, but after general conference decided against it.  Although I tried to defend my personal church and all of those who are not supportive of the outcome of this vote, I must admit I too have wondered why this vote was even a thing.  Ultimately I know the answer is that in order to change the Methodist Book of Discipline, a vote was the most diplomatic way.  However as in most governing boards, there are some things wrong here.  One of the biggest, in my opinion, is why did the global church vote on something that only affects the US?  Two, why do we think we can pick and choose who we welcome into the church? Some will argue that we, Methodists, are welcoming of all; but are we really?  Of course many are, but after the vote; it is oftentimes assumed that all Methodist churches are in favor of this particular exclusion. When you invite people in to experience the unbridled love of God, your arms should be open fully, not crossed at your chest.  This is what I feel like our denomination has said, "Sure you can come to our church and love Jesus, but these are our terms". When Neil and I were searching for a church home, some 23 years ago, we landed in our Methodist church.  The biggest appeal was the inclusivity and Bible teachings. Obviously I don't agree with everything the Methodist Book of Discipline states, and honestly I don't even know some of it;  because I don't feel like it should dictate my relationship with God.  It can certainly help to guide it and to grow me in spiritual disciplines, but it's not the main factor that drives my love for My Lord.  Although I don't agree with everything, I do love my church and church family; and I have yet to find a perfect church or denomination.  Every time we take communion, the pastor says, "ALL ARE WELCOME!" I believe God wants us all, every single one of us, in His house feeling His love poured over us....all of us.  We have taught our children this as well....Jesus loves us all, every single one.  We don't get to decide that, that decision was made on the cross.  When we welcome with open arms, we are closer to living like Jesus.  We will never get it completely right, because we are in fact human and imperfect and not Jesus; but it doesn't mean we can't strive for Christian perfection.  It's not up to me to dictate someone's faith or relationship with Jesus, that's on them.  It is up to me to share the love and grace of Jesus and pray for those searching. In my heart and mind "ALL ARE WELCOME"  always!!  God will bring good from all of this, and I've seen glimpses of that these last few days.  Now we pray and wait as we move forward, not backward.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.  Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.  This is how God showed his love among us:  He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love:  not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
1 John 4:7-12

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it:  'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.
Matthew 22:35-40

No comments: