Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cal Is Cool!

This boy, my boy, will be a freshman next year!  SIGH!  Today we had his ARD meeting, the last one we will have for him in middle school.  It was long, informative and awesome.  Cal presented a power point complete with text and photos of himself and his friends.  It explained all the things he has done in middle school.  It was amazing.  I can't believe my sweet little towheaded boy will be in high school....dry your eyes!  I have to be honest when I say I spent a good part of my afternoon crying at the thought of my boy!  ARDs often have a way of doing that to me.  I held it together through the power point and listening to his sweet voice read it while Ms. Tandy (his teacher) whispered to him the hard words.  When his teacher and therapists, who have known him since he was 3, began talking about him moving on from them; it was tough!  We met the teacher he will have in high school, and she seems fabulous; and I know he will excel.  Watching your children plan for their future is wonderful, but it's so hard at the same time.  Time is going by so very fast.  Planning for a special needs child takes a lot of thought, but there is so much uncertainty that accompanies it as well.  NPayne and I wanted to say "We don't know" to so many of the things we were asked, because we don't know.  How can we know what to expect when he's 18 when we don't know what to expect in six months.  He surprises us all the time with the progress he's making, but honestly "we don't know"!  Truthfully I'm in no hurry to talk about group homes and jobs for him....truthfully I'm in no hurry to talk about where my typical almost 16 year old will live after high school either.  I just want to have them near me as long as possible.  At one point during the ARD, I rested my hand on his chair.  He picked it up and held it for a very long time.  I don't know if he was trying to ease my mind, his mind or both.  I wish everyone could know Cal and appreciate the kind of person he is and what he can teach you!  Cal is cool!

No comments: