Tuesday, April 27, 2010

TAKS

Today is TAKS testing for students across Texas. I'm going to go ahead and put it out there.....I DON'T LIKE TAKS! I know that it is suppose to be helping improve learning in Texas schools, but I still DON'T LIKE IT! Now let me explain why:
1. Some children just don't take tests well. I will have to give props to most teachers I know, because they do try to modify the way the test is given in order for all kids to be successful. BUT some kids still just aren't good at taking tests.
2. There's too much emphasis on this test, and some kids get completely overwhelmed and stressed out by it. I have one daughter who can't be bothered by TAKS and one who was a tad bit nervous (for her first TAKS experience)....mostly excited, because she gets to have goldfish throughout the day. I don't buy goldfish, so what a treat for her!
3. There are some students, who barely speak English, and are being asked to take this test in English. I know this for a fact, because I tutored many of them last year. How does one expect a person to take a test in a language they are just starting to understand and speak?
4. I disagree with the fact that a school's rating should be based on a test score. I also disagree that many teachers have to "teach to the test" in order for their grade level and school to get such rating. The teachers have to do training and other things to prepare to give the test.
5. The entire school shuts down during testing days....the schedules are changed....you can't go have lunch with your children....HEAVEN HELP YOU if your child is sick!

I will tell you....my children's elementary school is the BOMB! I mean I absolutely LOVE IT! Sure there have been things and are things that I don't agree with or particularly support, but overall I could not have asked for a better school or staff for my children. This school is supportive of its children and families. It is a loving learning environment. It is very communicative with parents. It has great leadership. The teachers are fun and go out of their way to make learning fun and interesting. It offers a wonderful program for the academically talented children and has a phenomenal PAT teacher (program for the academically talented). It offers a phenomenal special services program and has phenomenal special ed. teachers and aids. This school reaches out to many of its students and families who are struggling financially and offers them love and acceptance. But mainly I love it, because it loves us back. The teachers and staff love my children. It is a great school. Honestly that right there is enough to earn an exemplary rating! We don't need a test to tell us that!

No comments: