Sunday, March 27, 2011

PEACE

Peace....Peace....Peace....what does it mean to you? I looked it up in the dictionary, and this is what I found:
–noun
1.
the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group ofnations, or the world.
2.
( often initial capital letter ) an agreement or treatybetween warring or antagonistic nations, groups, etc., to endhostilities and abstain from further fighting or antagonism:the Peace of Ryswick.
3.
a state of mutual harmony between people or groups,especially in personal relations: Try to live in peace withyour neighbors.
4.
the normal freedom from civil commotion and violence of acommunity; public order and security: He was arrested forbeing drunk and disturbing the peace.
5.
cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension.
6.
freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety,an obsession, etc.; tranquillity; serenity.
7.
a state of tranquillity or serenity: May he rest in peace.
8.
a state or condition conducive to, proceeding from, orcharacterized by tranquillity: the peace of a mountain resort.
9.
silence; stillness: The cawing of a crow broke theafternoon's peace.
10.
( initial capital letter, italics ) a comedy (421 b.c.) byAristophanes.

I would love to experience many of the above definitions of peace, and oftentimes I do; but when I am most content is when I'm filled with peace that only God can bring. Sometimes I feel it for days at a time and something rocks my peace filled boat, and then I become a little agitated or scared. But when I put my focus back where it belongs, the waves settle; and it's more smooth sailing once again.
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

We've discussed peace a lot lately in my Bible Study....I think there are a few reasons for this:
1. Because we are all still struggling with the loss of our beloved pastor.
2. Because God is leading my Bible Study leader to continue to encourage and discuss with us where real peace may be found.
3. Because my Bible Study leader is my beloved pastor's wife....now widow....and she is grieving the loss of her husband all the while feeling God's peace.
I do think that sometimes we have to search for it....God's peace....in the midst of chaos, worry, loss, sadness, confusion, uncertainty, etc.; but if we search....we will find it! I've been searching for it, and thank God that He is providing.
Phillipians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments: