Thursday, July 24, 2014

I'm A Wimp!

My oldest had her wisdom teeth removed today.  Four impacted teeth that had to be cut out of her mouth with full anesthesia and some sutures.  If you know her, you know that she was not in the least bit nervous.  If you know me, you know that my stomach was doing somersaults.  While we were waiting for them to call her back, I asked her a few times if she was nervous; and she would calmly nod her head in the direction of no.   Before the last time I asked her, I started with "I'm nervous, are you?"  She gave me the "DO YOU MIND???" look, and then I said; "Am I making you nervous?"  She smiled and nodded her head in the direction of yes, and I took that as my cue to shut it up; so I did.  All went well, and the laughing gas did its trick; because she was laughing A LOT when I went back to see her....and yes, I did video! ;)  We got home, and I got her all settled in on the couch.  Then  I made myself some brunch.  As I took my first bite, she asked if WE could change the gauze in her mouth, because "it's gross"; and I envisioned the gauze.....slimy, icky, soaked through with blood.  Needless to say, the eggs went in the trash.  I calmly said, "Yes YOU can change the gauze" while I felt an instant panic rising up inside me.  My mind went haywire....Is she thinking, I'm going to change that?  I can't change that.  I can't even clean up throw up, much less change a nasty blood soaked gauze strip.  I will need to call NPayne immediately.  He will just have to come home and do it.  Then I felt my eyes really wide and watery, and I started to get nauseated.  The whole time I'm freaking myself out, she is calmly and carefully removing the "gross" gauze and replacing it with ungross gauze.  Praise the Lord, for He is good!  His love endures forever, and He gave Addi the calm, cool and collected gene from her dad!  Yes I am one of those rare mothers who has an issue with throw up and blood and diarrhea.  People always told me, "It will be different when it's your own child."  But they were wrong.  Thank God for Neil....he is a rockstar when it comes to cleaning up puke, blood, and the runs!

No comments: