Wednesday, August 20, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

So there is this thing going on called the ice bucket challenge to help raise money and awareness for ALS. Honestly because I don't watch the news or read the paper, I was a little late in the game hearing about this. I am big into social media, so it was inevitable that I would eventually hear about it. When I read about how much money it has raised vs. money raised in the past, I got curious. I'm all about a cause and how people are effective in raising money. Apparently there is some controversy around this....go figure....there always seems to be controversy about everything. There are thoughts that people are participating in the ice bucket challenge because they are narcissistic and doing it to gain attention. I hadn't thought about it that way and honestly don't really care, as long as they are raising money. I would guess, I do not know for certain, that whoever started this challenge did it for someone they love; and not because of narcissism. What people do with it after that is out of his/her control. I'll be honest when I say that I didn't know that much about ALS except that Michael J Fox has it, and it's also called the Lou Gehrig's disease. I have come across some interesting articles and thoughts regarding this challenge, and I think I stand with this one. If I am raising awareness or money for a cause, that I firmly believe in, or for something that my loved one needs; I don't care if people who are giving the money are narcissistic, self centered, egotistical or not. As long  as nobody is being hurt physically, emotionally, or spiritually; I'm a-ok with it. After all, it's their choice to  participate. As far as the clean wasted water being used, that bothers me to the core. My favorite challenge I've seen thus far was my Facebook friend, Ellen, who dumped the bucket of money she is donating on her head instead of ice. For those who still don't know what ALS is, all I can say about that is....that too is your choice. There are plenty of articles out there especially now. If you want to know, you will. If you don't, you won't. It's that simple.

No comments: