Thursday, August 7, 2014

COLD TURKEY

It's summer, and I love summer; but I don't love the end of summer.  Our bad habits will soon be catching up with us and rearing their ugly heads in full force.  I have made asked my children to start getting up early...10:00 or so...yes that is early in our house on a day when you can sleep as late as you want.  We are sleepers people.  NPayne use to ask them to get up at school time about a week or so before school started, and I put a stop to that immediately.  He thought it was a good idea to have them get back into the school morning routine, but I DID NOT!  They are going to be cranky for a good solid week when they have to start getting up at school time, and I don't want any part of that.  Unfortunately they live with me, so I will be forced to take part when that occurs.  My reasoning is as follows:  they are going to be cranky and whiny, so why would I want them to be cranky and whiny when they are home with me all day long right before school starts?  That is plain ludicrous.  NPayne is at work, so he doesn't deal.  Instead we just go cold turkey, and the first time they get up at school time is on the first day of school.  I know some of you think I'm crazy and are appalled that I let my kids sleep until 10:00 until the first day of school (except on church days), but that is how I like it.  We are sleepers people and that includes me!  At least when they are cranky and whiny, most of that behavior will be at school (which doesn't happen, believe me, they save it for home).  Then I only have to deal with cranky and whiny in the afternoons and evenings, and they will be sooooo tired they want to go to bed early.  WIN WIN FOR ALL!  After a week or two, the routine will set in; and we will be one big happy family again.  But for those first few weeks, I wouldn't advise stopping by for a visit; or you might be greeted with gnawing and gnashing of teeth, weeping and some yelling.  I love my people, we are just unfriendly without sleep. That's just how we roll.

No comments: