Monday, November 16, 2009

The Hole In The Gospel

Who's read it? Who's reading it? Who is planning on reading it? Right now I am reading this book, and it is really tugging at my heart. The best way to describe it is how it was described to me.....once you start reading it, you won't want to put it down; and it will make you quesiton what kind of Christian you are! When I was told that, I got a little worried....and with good reason. Now believe me I know that we are not all called to sell everything, uproot our families, and head out to the poorest parts of our earth to face orphaned children, starving children, dying children. The question that has been running through my mind is.....If I was called to do that, would I? I know that we can serve many orphaned, starving, dying children right here in the USA....in fact right here in my own neighborhood; and we are called to do so. BUT....am I reaching out beyond? Am I being the hands and feet of Jesus outside of my comfort zone....I mean really outside of my comfort zone? Am I? The other thing about this book that has really tugged at my heart is the fact that the author, Rich Stearns, tells us how we can't shut the door.....close our eyes.....pretend that we don't live in a fallen world.....pretend that there are not people suffering at the hands of others, at the hands of disease and poverty. If you know me, you know that I don't read the paper or watch the news. You know that I don't want to hear the awful things that are going on around me....I don't. After the Oklahoma City bombing occured, I read and watched and listened to everything about it. It haunted me so deeply that I couldn't sleep, eat and really became depressed. I could think of nothing else but the images that were etched in my brain. Since then, I haven't watched the news, read the paper, or anything that will inform me of the horrible things occuring around me; and although many aren't.....I am okay with that.....at least until now. After reading this book, I have been nudged to start getting more in tune with the world. I have decided for my own sanity that I will still continue to avoid the news and newspapers for now, but I am going to pray for guidance and where I'm being led to serve others. Our church is an outward reaching church, and we have many ministries that serve the poor and elderly in our community; and I love that about our church. I mean I LOVE IT!!! I serve in a few of these ministries, and I can tell you that I am blessed each time I do.....blessed beyond words. But since reading this book, I have decided that I need to listen closer and pay closer attention to where God is calling me to serve. The ministries that I serve in now are definitely from God, but is there more? Is there more that I just haven't heard, because I've been too wrapped up in trying to avoid it? I don't know, but I'll keep you posted if I receive a kneemail soon!

No comments: