Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Saw Jesus Through The Eyes My Child!

Tuesday evening at 5:00, I took Callahan to Chick Fil A for dinner.....just me and him. Actually we were going there to meet is In Home Training Therapist who we see every other week. We meet her out in the community, and she works with him on Life Skills and Social Skills. After a couple of unsuccessful meetings, I suggested that we take him to Chick Fil A....
1. Because it's small, and he can't really avoid her too much....
2. Because I would see if a few of his friends would come, and she could observe him in a playful setting with people he adores and trusts.....
So that's what we did. After a lot of little prep and explanation, Cal and I were at Chick Fil A. In a few minutes, in walked Cole.....one of Cal's friends. Cal was really happy. While Cole's mama was getting his food, they chatted; and I LOVED hearing them talk to each other. A few minutes later, in walked Maddy.....another of Cal's friends. Again he was really happy. Soon thereafter, in walked Mrs. L....his therapist. She sat at the table behind the kids and just eaves dropped observed. I could tell this made Cal uncomfortable, because he completely quit talking; and he kept slyly looking over his shoulder at her....as if to see if she was still there. Once I realized this, I told him he could get up and play....he immediately got up, with his friends, and they began to play. As I carried on conversations with Cole's and Maddy's mothers, I watched the kids play together; and I saw the look of joy, fun and excitement on my sweet boy's face. As I watched these two 10 year olds.....who are nearly too big to climb in the play equipment at Chick Fil A.....and who acted, said and did whatever their friend asked of them.....I realized that I was witnessing Jesus in action. Maddy and Cole were being the hands, feet, eyes, ears, and hearts of Jesus. They were giving everything they had to Cal, and even though my sweet 10 year old boy, has the thinking capacity of a much much younger child; they didn't care. They played right along with him....completely uninhibited by what anyone else who might be watching might think. It brought me so much joy to see him play like that with children other than his sisters. Cal is blessed to have such wonderful children in his life.....friends who are willing to serve him in ways that they may not even realize they are doing. I often wonder what Cal really understands or knows about the love of Jesus, but on Tuesday at Chick Fil A.....he not only witnessed Jesus, but he was the recipient of WWJD in action! Every since Tuesday, Cal has been saying....."Mama, I played with Cole and Maddy at Chick Fil A" and each time he says it, I can see through his smile and his eyes that he is reliving that wonderful evening in his mind and in his heart; and I think he is learning.....in his own way.....the love of Christ through the unconditional love of others!!!

1 comment:

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Wow! What a wonderful blessing and special day! don't you just love that kids drop those inhibitions and accept each other. Cal has some special friends, but also a special family!