Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday Sermon Summary....Remember Because

Today was All Saints Remembrance Day. In our church, we honor loved ones who have passed away during this year. As their names scroll across the screen, two talented singers sing "Remember Me" by Mark Schultz. Anytime that song is played, there is about a 90% chance that I'm going to cry....All Saints Remembrance Day or just any regular old day. This song reminds me of someone who died in 2004, his name was Chris; and he was one of NPayne's closest friends. At a very young age, Chris lost his battle with cancer and died....it was heartbreaking for us all....especially for NPayne and his closest friends. Chris had no living relatives, so NPayne was the executor of his will, he was in charge of his funeral arrangements, he was in charge of basically everything. It was a hard time.....not because of the responsibility but because of the loss of this vibrant young man who was always smiling and who loved life. NPayne and his friends were beside Chris through his battle and as his frail body began to lose its battle....as I said it was a tough time. "Remember Me" was played at his funeral, so it's always a reminder of Chris! As that song played today, once again I cried....actually I sobbed....nearly uncontrollably until my sweet little Bryna looked up and saw me with such a look of concern in her eyes. When I saw the look of concern on her face, I was able to then gain some composure but still cry a silent stream of tears. There were so many names on that screen that I loved....NPayne's Nana's name was listed, my dear friends' baby boy's name was listed, my sweet little Drew's friend's name was listed, sweet Maxine's name was there, one of my good friend's sister's name was there; as well as; so many people that I had been praying for all year long. It's bittersweet! During the sermon, Cindy....our fabulous associate pastor talked about remembering and how important it is. She reminded us that some memories are joyful and happy, some are bittersweet, some are sad, and some are funny! It's good to remember.....remember the ones you love, remember moments with ones you love....treasures! As my silent tears fell, Bryna was writing in her little "church" journal. She wrote the following words.....I LOVE YOU MOMMY! She showed me those words with a look of deep concern on her face and a look of such hope that it would make me stop crying. She had no idea why I was crying....she just turned 6 and had no idea that the words scrolling across the screen were names of people who had died. All she knew was that her mama was sad, and she wanted to make me happy. After a few minutes, she looked at me again.....although I was still crying....in a much more composed manner, she still looked concerned. The next thing I saw her write in her journal was....JESUS and then GOD....her S's were backwards which made me smile, but it was one of the sweetest things gestures ever, and I know....without a doubt....this is a moment that I will remember....a moment that will make me smile, maybe cry, but definitely be filled with joy!

No comments: