Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Parents Do Know What's Best!

I remember people telling me...."Just wait til she's a teenager." I remember thinking...."My Addi will not be the typical teenager. She will still hold my hand while walking through the store. She will still kiss me in public. She will still talk to me about everything." I was wrong....she still does do a lot of those things, but she has definitely changed. She is growing up....coming into her own...wanting to make her own choices...giving me a little bit of attitude from time to time....did I just say that....about my Addi? She is a teenager. She is becoming a lovely young woman, and for that I am so very grateful; but there is a distance between us that wasn't there until just a year or so ago. I think it's part of "coming into your own", and I am hoping it only lasts through puberty and then she will see....that I am still cool and fun and am not trying to nag her but do have her best interests at heart! I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be the oldest of five and still have to live surrounded by 3 year old things when most of your friends are surrounded by teenage things....TV shows, activities, etc. She is allowed to do a few things that her siblings are not, but for the most part....our house is still a house full of YOUNG children; so we allow what's appropriate for them. I have explained to Addi that when she was 3 and 6, we would not have allowed her to watch......; and we are not going to allow her sisters to watch.....even if it may be appropriate for her, it's not for them. She is really good about it and understanding, but I think it does get "old" to her sometimes. I didn't have to compromise as a teenager or as a child at all really, since I was an only; so I can't imagine how that is. I do know that my children LOVE each other so very much. Sure they fight and get irritated with each other and sometimes don't like things another is doing, but they really adore each other. I have no doubt that they will all be the best of friends and very close when they are adults. I absolutely LOVE seeing this in my children....the comradery....not the fighting! ;) I have said it before, and I'll say it again....I absolutely detested middle school when I was there; so I keep thinking Addi will as well. But she doesn't, she really enjoys it. Remembering myself as a teenager, I realize that there are a lot of things that are different today for teenagers; but one thing I KNOW will be the same is this: when people use to say "Your parents know what's best for you. They only do those things, because they love you." And I use to think, "My parents were just being unfair or didn't trust me!" which honestly wasn't that often; I know now that my parents did in fact know what was best for me....at least most of the time! :)And I know that someday Addi will say...."You did know what you were doing when you made me do.....or didn't allow me to do.....! You did it, because you love me!" And I will smile and tell her I will pray for her when she has a teenager! ;)

No comments: