Saturday, August 14, 2010

What Has Blessed Your Life?

A blessing, (also used to refer to bestowing of such) is the infusion of something with holiness, divine will, or one's hope or approval.

I use to think blessings were things given to us by God, and I still do to a certain degree. However now I don't necessarily think the stuff I have is a blessing. I think of blessings more as the relationships I've been allowed to be part of. Sure I think it's a fortunate thing to have a house, a car, a good school, food, etc.; but I don't necessarily think those actual things are blessings. I use to think God blessed me with this house, and believe me I LOVE my house and am very thankful to have it; however, I don't necessarily think of it as a blessing.
One day a few years ago, I was sitting outside with my Lifelong friend Leslie. She had just come home from an extended stay in the hospital after having a stroke during childbirth where she lost her baby and nearly her own life. We were sitting out on her porch looking over the lake....which is one of my favorite places to be....and talking about faith, God, life. She said something that I will never forget and that really changed my perspective. She said how grateful she was to be alive and to be able to have more time with her husband and daughter and what a blessing that was. She said all of this, and she pointed her hand out over the lake, means nothing! This house and that boat mean nothing. It's the gift of life, the relationship with Jesus, my family and friends that are blessings.
I really thought about that and started thinking more about blessings. I realized that I thought she was probably right. Don't misunderstand, it's very nice to have a wonderful place to live and she thinks so as well; but it's part of our circumstance that brings us there. Now along the way, I don't doubt for one minute that there are many blessings that may have brought us to that place; but I don't necessariy think that God looked at me one day and said...."I am going to bless you with a house!" and then looked to someone in Africa and said...."I'm not going to bless you with a house!" I think being born in the country I was born in was definitely a gift which in turn allows us to do many things that others in our world are not able to. But I also think that many others in our world who don't have a nice house to live in, or car to drive, or school to attend, or even food to eat are equally or maybe more blessed than I. How can that be? There are so many people in the world who are blessed by the realtionships they have with others and with Jesus, and they don't have a dime to toss in a wishing well much less to spend. On the flipside, there are many others who have tons of money, several homes, cars, etc. who are not nearly as blessed as I am. I find myself wondering often why I have so much and others don't....but I've decided to try not to fret over that thought and just act on it. I've decided to thank God for giving me the gift of living in the USA and having the ability to make choices for myself and my family, and yes I do thank Him for allowing me to have a roof over my head, food to eat, etc.; and for showing me that with some of this stuff I can serve Him. I've decided that we can give more, serve more, pray more and help more. I don't know why some are born in countries of abundance and wealth and free choice and some are born in countries of extreme poverty and starvation and disease with no right to decide for themselves and where Jesus is never heard of. What I do know is that we are called to love ourselves and our neighbors....no matter what the circumstance! We are all His children! So tonight I thank God for many things, and I thank Him for my many blessings!

No comments: