Thursday, April 7, 2011

STAY GROUNDED

God is my refuge....He's my strength...He's my all in all! What I've noticed is that many people....me included....cling to Him in dark times, in hard times, in lonely times. When things are good...we may have a casual conversation with Him, but many of us don't cling to Him and sit at His feet. I've been thinking about this a lot and how God is my refuge.....in wonderful times, good times, not so good times, horrible times, the list goes on. He is my refuge always. I know He knows my heart, but I need to become more intentional about letting God know how much I worship Him....how much I need Him....how much I want to live my life for Him. I just need to praise Him and let Him know this....not because He doesn't already know....but because it helps me to stay focused on.....HIM and HIS WORD! I attend a church, that means the world to me, the people there are family! During the season of Lent, the church staff puts together a devotional....it's not just written by the clergy....but the entire church staff! I must say, it's just plain remarkable to read it daily; and I am blessed by reading their perspectives each day. Not too long ago, I read a devotional written by Melissia. Melissia is our very talented Communications Director. When I read this post by Melissia, I literally clapped my hands and said out loud...."YES, that is what I'm talking about!" It was like she read my mind. Here it is. Take it to heart and to practice! I have been, and it has made a huge difference in the way I approach my daily life. STAY GROUNDED IN GOD'S WORD! Stay grounded in God!

Thursday, March 24 by Melissia Mason

Read Mark 4:13-20.

“The cares of the world, and the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things come in and choke the word.” Isn’t that the truth? Sometimes it just feels like the circumstances of life are actively choking us, trying to cut us off from the life-giving breath of God.

To be honest, I have trouble making Bible study a priority. But what if I practiced hearing the word and accepting it when times are easy? Then maybe when “life happens” it will come naturally to be grounded in God’s word. Maybe my roots would be strong. Maybe the cares of the world would just pass through my branches like wind through the trees. What once was a devastating gale might now become a mere whisper.
Let’s try it. Not just during Lent, but every day beyond this day. Let’s just experiment… start with continuing to spend ten minutes in prayer and ten minutes in scripture each day (remember Ken’s 10 & 10 Challenge?). Who knows how our world might change if we become strong and bear fruit “thirty and sixty and a hundredfold”!

God, sometimes we forget about you in the good times. Help us to be vigilant, growing closer to you each day. When the cares of the world press heavily upon us, give us the strength that can only come from knowing you. Amen.

No comments: