Sunday, February 11, 2018

My One Word: Gentleness!!

Gentleness....it's my one word for the year.  The definition of gentleness is:
gen·tle·ness
ˈjen(t)lnəs/
noun
  1. 1
    the quality of being kind, tender, or mild-mannered.
    "Michael was admired for his gentleness and tolerance"
  2. 2
    softness of action or effect; lightness.
    "the gentleness of his touch"

We are half way through February which is pretty far into the year when you have failed using your one word on a regular basis.  I've thought about this word a lot lately, because I have been failing miserably practicing gentleness.  Yesterday I spent the day with one of my best friends, who is a huge light in my life.  She listened intently as I talked, and she encouraged me.  Today during Sunday School, our lesson was about gratitude and perspective and choosing to be grateful.  I use to be really good at doing this, but lately....not so much.  Our sermon was about worthiness and how God loves us the same at our best and at our worst, again I was encouraged and reminded.  Neil showed me a conversation, on our home iPad, that our youngest Elliot had with herself.  Reading "I wish my mom felt better", made me sad, really sad.    Through all of these things, I realized that I need to re-focus a lot; and be more intentional about getting back into The Word.  I've been so discouraged and sad for many reasons, and my attitude has not been one of love and gentleness; but instead one of fear and frustration.  I don't feel well physically or emotionally, and I need to get back to taking better care of myself.  I've been reading this week trying to figure out what is going on with my body and brain, and honestly it's overwhelming....I'm overwhelmed with the information.  On the other hand, I'm grateful that I am finding some answers.  My body has been failing for years, but my brain has been strong.  Now that my brain is failing, I feel completely out of control of myself; and it scares and frustrates me.  Honestly it is exhausting. I need to re-focus.  I need to get back into The Word.  I need to change my perspective.  I need to allow myself time to rest.  I need to be intentional about gratitude, and then the gentleness will come.  God is good all the time He is good, and with Him all things are possible!



No comments: