Monday, February 12, 2018

Wise Young People

Sometimes God puts the most unlikely people in your path.  They may be there for a minute, a season  or a lifetime.  They may teach you hard lessons, or you may teach them.  They may break your heart, or they may steal it.  They may become one of your best friends or your worst enemies.  Behind it all, I believe there is always something to be gained; and something good will be revealed through the relationships we develop...even the painful ones.  I have a friend, who I have known his whole life.  He is like my second son.  Over the last several months, I have learned a lot about life, struggles and what our young people are facing through him.  I have learned a lot through my own children as well, but his perspective is different than theirs.  It has made me more aware of things I need to be grateful for and how to be more intentional in the lives of the younger generation.  It's so strange to me, that I have 5 young people in my house, and I know a lot about the struggles of young people; but there's so much I didn't know.  I have been reminded about faith and God's plan for things but also how hard the world can be.  It's hard to tell the younger generation that there's so much life to live ahead of them, without sounding condescending or unconcerned; because many are trying to survive it right now.  As you age and gain life experience, it oftentimes becomes more apparent.  And sometimes life is easy and sometimes it's not, yet it sounds so cliche to say that out loud to someone in the middle of something really hard.  There are those, in our younger generation, who are intentional and thoughtful and bring hope to the future....even through life's challenges.  They are destined to do and are doing great things despite their struggles, and WOW....am I fortunate to be witness to that.  I'm thankful to my own children, to my friend and many others who have reminded me that the fight is continuous; and we have to keep going.  But I've learned that even as a 51 year old believer, you need to be reminded about faith and God's plan; and that He knows what He's doing.  Sometimes it takes a wise young person to remind you of that.

No comments: