Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Happy 49th Mom and Dad!

Today is my parents' 49th wedding anniversary.  The last one they celebrated together was their 40th.  It was shortly before my dad was diagnosed with cancer and six months later he was gone.  I remember their 40th wedding anniversary.  I was hosting a party for a friend.  I can't remember what she was selling, but I remember my dad bringing my mom to the party.  I remember watching him in the back room of our house lying down sleeping.  I remember that his hip hurt a lot.  I remember that I never ever suspected he had cancer or would be gone in just six short months.  The day my mom passed, I knew the time was coming.   She had gotten worse the few days before.  I thought I had a few weeks or maybe even months left with her.  When my dad's final days were upon us, I knew it.  With my mom, I just wasn't sure.  She was so strong....even in her fragile state.  My cousin asked me if she should bring her mom (mom's sister) to see mine, and I remember telling her "I don't know".  "Do you think we have until tomorrow?" she asked.  "I don't know." I replied.  But now today, 8 1/2 years later; my parents are celebrating together again.  I can't help but smile when I think of them together, but it is a very odd and lonely feeling knowing I don't have my mom and dad on earth any longer.  I'm an orphan....at 47 years old....and I feel like one sometimes.  I miss them both terribly, and I wish we were having a big celebration here for them; but I know they are having one in heaven.

No comments: