Monday, September 22, 2008

Are we poor?

The other day my 4 year old princess declared to me the following statement, "We are poor!" I asked her what made her think we were poor, and she said; "Well we have to clean all the time!" Now we do live on quite a tight budget, but we are far from poor! We are able to take care of our basic needs, but we do often do without some wants. Let me give you a little background info. on this particular princess in my life...she is enamored with all things princessy: tiaras, gowns, jewels, etc. All the things that a disney princess might have. She is also completey in character when watching a disney princess movie. This particular day she had watched Cinderella (a lot of cleaning going on in that movie), and she had been talking with her sister about Annie (as in Little Orphan Annie again a lot of cleaning going on in that movie) which all my princesses absolutely love to watch and act out. This is also one of my "sloppy" princesses (see my previous posts), so cleaning is not her forte by any means. I thought her statement was quite humorous but proceeded to tell her (with as serious face as I could muster) that wealthy people clean too, some may pay someone else to do it for them; but they still keep their homes and things clean. It goes back to just taking care of your things and respecting and being grateful for the things you have. One of the most important things to me is teaching my children to be grateful for what they have even if they don't get everything they want. I don't have any doubt that this princess will build her budget around paying someone else to clean her house when she is on her own.

No comments: