Friday, September 19, 2008

Remembering a sweet sweet person

Today was Mr. Lonnie's funeral. Lonnie was the building superintendant at our church and had been there for over 20 years. I had known him for 11 years. As we sat through the service today, part traditional Methodist and part Black Gospel, we all nodded in agreement when Pastor Ken quoted scripture from Nehemiah that seemed to sum up Lonnie in a nutshell....The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength. That simple but profound scripture summed up Lonnie. He brought joy to everyone he met, and he never met a stranger - he said so himself, he was joyful in all he did. Pastor Ken said today was a good day for tears, it means that we will miss the joy that Lonnie brought, and we will. As I watched Lonnie's family enter the sanctuary, a large family that filled up 7 pews, I knew their grief; for I too have lost close loved ones. I listened intently to each song that was sung and each word that was spoken in memory of this sweet man, and the emotion of loneliness washed over me. Although Lonnie hadn't been able to work at the church for quite a while, it never really hit me until today that I would be lonely without him there making silly jokes and giving me a hard time about one thing or another. I know the loneliness will pass as time goes on, but I think for now I won't be the only one who is lonely.

No comments: