Friday, September 26, 2008

An Evening With A Younger Man or Maybe a Few....

Today is one of our favorite friend's birthdays. His name is Eli, and he is turning 6. Eli will melt your heart, because he is as sweet as pie served al a mode. He and my princess Drew became instant friends the day they met. Although she is 1 1/2 years older than Eli, they have a wonderful friendship. Drew thinks Eli is a sweet and gentle boy which is how she describes her brother, Cal, as well. Eli thinks Drew is fabulous, and he absolutely adores her. He has even told his mama that he LOVES Drew. For his birthday, he is taking 2 other little boys (who are not yet 6) and my Drew (the older woman) out to dinner and bowling. I think that is the perfect celebration birthday for this sweet little boy. So today promptly at 4:30, we heard a gentle knock at the door. All 4 "big" kids peerd out the window and excitedly said "it's Eli". I opened the door and there he stood, with big bright eyes; and looking as handome as ever. He immediately said with an excitement that only a child can have...."Today is my birthday".... as if he was telling me something I didn't already know. As I walked Drew and Eli to the car, his mama (Kara) met me and explained how he had wanted to come to the door all by himself to retrieve his "girl" as he affectionately refers to her. When Drew was returned home, many hours later, Eli's mama told me that she didn't want to come home; and he didn't want her to come home - so they brought her home last. Kara also told me how sweet they were and how they would, every now and again, just grab each others' hands and hold hands. Yes they have an affection for each other, but truly they have a loving friendship that I hope will last for a lifetime.
We vacationed with Eli and his family (and another wonderful family) this past summer in Gulf Shores Alabama. Above you will see this picture of Eli and Drew together that is so sweet, it simply takes my breath away. When Kara saw it, she said that has to go in a frame and maybe someday we will use it at their wedding (now our secret is out). You see Kara and I half jokingly/half seriously have betrothed these two into holy matrimony. Yes I know they are only 6 (just turned today) and 7, but it doesn't hurt to make wishes. His mama hopes that Eli will find a sweet girl like Drew to be his wife, and I hope that Drew will find a sweet boy like Eli to be her husband. You never know.....they could end up as bride and groom 20 years from now. After all, I married a younger man and look how great that turned out.