Saturday, October 10, 2009

An Artist With Autism

I spent the day with my 3 oldest girls and some of our friends. We did something that we haven't done in a long time.....shopped.....well actually my girls and I mainly browsed. The girls all bought themselves a little something with their money, but I didn't buy anything.....except lunch and a few drinks from Sonic during Happy Hour.....and yes that Route 44 made me happy. One of the places we browsed was The Owl's Nest....it's a really cute and unique toy store....a place that I use to sell my creations until the owner was recently bought out, but thankfully the store is still in business. It's just a darling little place. While we were browsing, I stumbled upon some fabulous art....framed art, t-shirts, bags....all by the same artist. Beside the art was one of those plastic cube things that holds pictures. As I flipped it around looking at the pictures, I saw the artist....an 8 year old little boy with autism. Then I read on another side of the cube a little about him....he began drawing when he was 4 and has an obvious gift. I flipped back around to look at his face again, and I noticed that his gaze was blank....he was just staring blankly at the camera....and then I noticed that there was some paper lying on the floor in front of him and he was holding a paintbrush, so they had probably called his name which had distracted him from his masterpiece to take that photo. Then I saw another picture of him with his mother, and he was grinning from ear to ear; and that made me smile. I read what she wrote about her son, and I could feel how much she adored him; and that made me choke back tears. I picked up a few pieces of his art and admired them with a quivery lip, then I called the girls over to look at it and read about the artist.....I knew they would enjoy seeing how this little boy....nearly the same age as their brother, affected with autism like their brother....was responsible for such wonderful pieces of art. And they did! I searched online to see if I could find a picture of some of his art, but I couldn't. If I do, I'll post some! It was amazing and really made my already blessed day even more blessed! Then I came home to my amazing son who greeted me with outstretched arms and a grin from ear to ear and again I smiled! Then my day was perfect!

1 comment:

~Christina~ said...

how neat to find that booth!