Thursday, October 15, 2009

RULES


I have to admit that I am a rule follower by nature....I always have been. I never liked or wanted to get in trouble and always thought about long term consequences in decisions I made. As I've gotten older, had a family, and continued growing my relationship with Christ....I have gotten much more laid back in how I approach rules. Don't get me wrong....I never speed, always have my car inspected, and fill out forms in black or blue ink; but I also started believing that if you follow the two main rules (commandments) that Jesus tells us too....everything else falls under them.

MATTHEW 22:37-39

37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] !

It's been a challenge not to set up rigorous rules in my household, because as I said....I am a rule follower....hence I need rules to be a rule follower; however we actually don't have tons of "rules" persay. We do have types of behaviors that are not acceptable and choices that are not acceptable, and we do have limitations and responsibilities; but really we have 2 main "rules" that we enforce, if you will, to keep order in our house.....BE KIND and BE HONEST! My children know that if they make a bad choice, there will be a natural consequence; but if they make a bad choice and are not honest about it....there will be a natural consequence and another consequence decided upon by NPayne and myself. We have tried to teach them and are still teaching them that being dishonest is a bigger offense (to us) than the bad choice was. We know that everyone makes bad choices and suffers consequences for those choices....including NPayne and myself.
As for being kind, I have never really seen a reason for anyone to be anything but kind....I know that may be hard at times....believe me I have struggle with that; but when I think about it and I see my children living it....it also makes me realize that being unkind not only hurts the person you are unkind to but also hurts you! Iwill say that NPayne has rubbed off on me significantly in this area....he is truly one of the kindest people I have ever met. I am not saying that we don't get angry, irritated, frustrated or upset with each other in our house....what I'm saying is that we are trying to handle those feelings in a kind, responsible, productive way....instead of lashing out, hitting, being condesending or disprespectful. As I've gotten older....I have made a conscious effort to take a step back, take a deep breath, and try to resolve a conflict with kindness....I'm not always successful, but I am trying to be. I have this frame (pictured above) in my kitchen, and it holds a picture of my children. It is such a good reminder....everyday when I look at it....which is why it's in my kitchen....so I see it everyday. It has the following saying under their picture....

Remember when you go into the world to keep your eyes and ears wide open. And be kind. Love one another. Take care of each other. Tell the truth. Always do your best. Listen to the big people and the little people. Explore new paths and have fun. Know that you are loved like crazy. Give thanks for all your blessings. Above all else, love and you will do wonderful things in this world. -- Rebecca Puig!

I pray that my family will always try to follow the commandments of Jesus....and that in doing so, we will be honest and kind.

1 comment:

More Than Words said...

The number one rule we have here is that nobody is allowed to call each other names. There are many siblings who call each other stupid or dumb. You know, those kinds of things. I think it' so rude and disrespectful.

We can just pray that our kids will continue to be loving and respectful adults1