Saturday, October 3, 2009

SAHM

I'm a SAHM....stay at home mother....among other things....like preschool teacher, business owner, creator, caregiver of two sweet little twin boys (that aren't mine). I love being a SAHM....and I love my other jobs as well, but I've been thinking a lot about what I do as a SAHM; so I decided to write out a job description...including benefits, positives and negatives!
Here goes...
My main duties consist of providing a safe, nurturing and loving environment for my children....which is basically the job of all parents....working or not. In addition to that, I also....prepare meals, do laundry, pick up a lot, do dishes, clean toilets, wash floors, tickle toes, dance a lot, pick up a lot, play outside, get out and clean up watercolors, read books, check homework, give hugs and kisses, be firm but encouraging, pray, do devotions, pick up a lot, sweep at least 2 times per day, do more laundry, rock 3 year olds, kiss booboos, teach life skills and independence, drop off and pick up, manage the finances, keep track of who goes where on what day and at what time, pick up a lot, make sure certain children don't take peanut butter in their lunch boxes (since there is a child with peanut allergies in her class), give lots of hugs, kiss it and make it better, cheer them on, dance some more, change lots of diapers, clean up messes, give medicine when needed, pack backpacks, pick up a lot....did I already say that?...., sing songs before naptime. I'm guessing that many moms who do work outside of the home do most of these things as well.

With my SAHM job, I don't get sick days....that doesn't mean I don't get sick.... it just means I don't get the day off when I'm sick! BUT....I can squeeze in a nap 1-2 times/week. I don't get a salary! BUT....I do get paid with lots of love and moments that I might otherwise miss out on.
I don't get quiet time in the car, BUT....I get to pick my kids up from school. I don't get a vacation! BUT....I get to sit around in my jammies several days of the week. I don't go on business lunches, meetings, or trips! BUT....I do get to go on outings to the park and playdates!

My job as a MOM might not be glamorous, and it might not make me wealthy....but it's the most important job I've ever had, and it definitely makes me rich!

2 comments:

The Blankenship Family said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I've had a "big-time" professional job (that I was really good at and actually enjoyed), and being a SAHM is the hardest, most demanding, yet the most amazing and rewarding thing I've ever done in my life! I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING in the whole world! We are truly blessed to have the privilege to be there day in and day out with our little angels!

Gracie said...

By far, it is the most important job ever and the one everyone should strive to obtain! Thanks for your prayers. I appreciate them so much. God is revealing Himself so much to me through this storm. Keep Praying =)