Saturday, January 16, 2010

HIT Hard!

So I'm 43 years old now and decided to have a physical....probably the first real physical I've ever had. Now don't you fret over my health, I see my gynecologist every year for my yearly exam....I get mammograms; but a physical....a real, true physical.....well.....there's a first time for everything. Anyway I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been having more and more problems with it, including extreme fatigue, so I decided I needed to start a true regimented exercise routine. I've also been feeling WEIRD every since Elliot was born....not WEIRD like "I don't fit in" or "Supernatural" but feeling more like I have Vertigo....the room spins, I often find myself feeling like I'm living in a dream....on the outside looking in....anyway just WEIRD! With the decision of starting a regimented exercise routine, I also decided that I should have a physical to make sure my aches and pains were just from arthritis and nothing else; so I went.....on Christmas Eve....I went and had a physical. When I say a physical.....I mean it was thorough....EKG, Bone Density Test, Blood Draw, Urine Specimen, Xrays, and Tons of Questions. I left there feeling pretty good about everything....except a little concern about the often unbearable back pain I have....hoping it was nothing more serious than RA! This past Thursday I went back for.....THE RESULTS! As I'm sitting there waiting for the doctor, I'm planning my next move....appointment with the Rheumatologist, yearly appointment with my gynecologist, appointment to get my mammogram, appointment to have a massage....well that's not really necessary, but it sure would be nice. Anyway in comes Dr. Smith....yes that's really her name....no incognito here! Anyhoo in she comes....we chat briefly....she's really sweet and very personable, and then she gets out the stack of paper....which are printed copies of THE RESULTS! She begins by telling me my bones are super strong and healthy....like truly SUPER bones....whew....sigh of relief! Then she says all my white and red blood counts were normal with no signs of lymphoma or leukemia....whew....sigh of relief! Then she says I do have one vertebrae which is out of whack but nothing that exercise shouldn't be able to correct....whew....sigh of relief! By now, I'm feeling pretty darn good about this whole physical thing UNTIL I hear the following: Your blood sugars are really high and your cholesterol is high....we'll start by adjusting your diet and getting you on an exercise program....if there's no improvement after 3 months....we'll need to start medication.....I want to keep you from having a heart attack.....WHOA NELLIE....you just about gave me a heart attack with that information! Then she says....and when you see the Rheumatologist, make sure you tell her you're borderline diabetic.....WHOA NELLIE.....I'm what? Seriously....I have never had a problem with cholesterol or blood sugars, and I am a very healthy eater....now I'll have to admit that exercise....just don't make time for it. After I catch my breath and give me second urine specimen, because the original one showed signs of protein in my urine, I realize that I've been hit hard here. I am going to have to really get this under control....I'm only 43! Help Me Henry!!! I haven't officially started researching diet options yet, but NPayne has. He tells me last night while we're at dinner what I need to start incorporating in my diet....PROTEIN. I defend my self by saying....I eat a lot of peanut butter, and he gently gives me the nod of encouragement and says....I know, but you are going to have to eat more meat products. EEEWWWWWW!!! I'm thinking surely there's a vitamin out there somewhere to solve this protein deficiency I'm facing. Then I had to admit to him that I had read some of the labels of things I basically live on....yogurt, cereal, bread, cheese, tortillas, granola, fresh fruit (okay so I didn't look on any label for fruit, but I know this to be true from when I did Weight Watchers)....and yes they are loaded with SUGAR! Hence the beginning of my low fat, low sugar, low carb, full or protein existence. Now I know it's not the end of the world, it's just one more thing I have to keep track of....but it's something I do HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF! But I'll do it....dragging my feet with a tantrum here or there.....I'll do it. Honestly I'm thankful to have this information now, so as to avoid the full blown diabetes or heart attack; so as I left the doctor's office.....I found myself praying....I found myself thanking God for nudging me to get the first ever physical I've ever had. I will tell you that the day that Dr. Smith tells me NO MORE COFFEE....someone is going to get hurt! ;)

1 comment:

Gracie said...

I'm with you on the coffee part!! Diet changes are so TOUGH!!! Exercise is even TOUGHER, for me at least. I know you can do it! We just have to keep praying Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me....... Hang in there. Praying for you, Friend. =)