Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm Not Grumbling

Sometimes I find myself sitting in the carpool lane....grumbling under my breath, because yet another person has managed to finagle their way to the front of the line (or cut in line if you ask a 2nd grader).....okay oftentimes I find myself grumbling in the carpool lane. But this year is different. This year, I started the year off, grumbling as usual; and then I started to notice something.....a grandpa walking several blocks to pick up his kindergarten grandchild at 2:00 and then sitting and waiting for his 2nd grade grandchild to come out at 2:45, then walking with both of them several blocks home. I noticed a father, riding his bike, every day to pick up his son. Securely fastening his little kindergarten treasure onto the seat while he stood and pedaled the entire way home. I noticed a father walking, at least 3 miles each way, to pick up his kindergartner at 2:00 and then wait for his other 2 children to come out at 2:45. As I began to take note, I began to grumble less and less. As the weather got colder, I waited to see if any of these men had cars to transport their little ones in....I have to assume they didn't. As on the coldest days, I saw them walking and pedaling up to pick up their children and grandchildren. When it was so very cold, and I still saw them there walking as I sat in my heated car; my grumbling ceased. I have offered to bring one of the children home at 2:00, so the grandfather and kindergartner don't have to wait until 2:45 for the older sibling. I haven't heard back yet as to if he will accept the offer. At 2:00, I only have the twins, Elli and am picking up Bryna. At 2:45, I have the twins, Elli, Bryna and am picking up Drew and Cal; so I don't have room for anyone else....or I would offer to bring the 2nd grade grandchild home as well. I think God put them in my path, so I could see that the carpool lane is the least of my worries; and I should stop grumbling and be grateful for my car....even if that means waiting in long lines while people finagle their way to the front (or cut in line if you ask a 2nd grader). LOOK PAST THAT and be grateful is what He is telling me, so I will! Someday I won't be sitting in the carpool lane any longer, because my kids will be grown; and I know that I will wish I was still picking up my little ones.

1 comment:

Lezleigh said...

thank you needed to hear that, I am the THE WORST grumbler in the pickup line about those who seem to be above the rules. I need to remember that there are other situations going on, and this is such a MINOR thing and to focus on the important things going on instead...