Friday, January 22, 2010

Toy Man and My Boy!

Once there was a really sweet kind man....he was 72 years old....he lived in my hometown. His name was Leslie, but most people knew him as "Toy Man". He walked everywhere he went, and he was always seen pulling some kind of small toy behind him. Toy Man was known to be friendly and always ready to share his toys with anyone who spoke to him or showed an interest. On January 11, 2010.....Toy Man was crossing one of our busiest roads....and was hit by a car. He died as a result from this accident, and many people in our community....ones who didn't know his "real" name....were saddened. Most are feeling the loss of the smile that was brought to their faces each time they saw him walking down the street pulling his toy of choice. Most are feeling the loss of seeing his smiling face. Toy Man's funeral will be tomorrow at my church. In his honor, a toy drive has been set up! What a sweet tribute to such a sweet soul! Although I never personally spoke to Toy Man, his life and his death have made a huge impact on me. When I think about him pulling his toys down the street, stopping to talk to whomever wanted to talk with him, offering to give his toys to anyone who was willing to take them, always smiling....I can imagine my own son, my Cal being "Toy Man" when he is 72 years old. I often find myself wondering what my son will be like as an adult. I find myself wondering that about my daughters as well, but I sort of just assume their adulthood will consist of college, love, marriage, babies, possibly careers....for a few....definite careers! For Cal, I honestly have no idea. When I saw Toy Man, I finally pictured what Cal may be like as an adult. Honestly it makes a whirlwind of emotions abound. Thinking about my son as an older man....with nobody left to look out for him....not being completely aware of possible dangers in life, is heartbreaking! On the other hand, thinking about my son as an older man....making so many smile....being such a sweet soul....sharing his most prized possessions with anyone who shows interest is heartfilling! What the future holds for Cal, only God knows; and I trust Him! To Toy Man,
If Cal brings as many smiles and happiness to people's every day lives as you did, I will be so very grateful! Rest In Peace! I know you are!

1 comment:

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Only and I were talking about some of those nameless people on the way home today, the legless man in a wheelchair trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic, the "bag lady" we see picking up cans beside the road... Today we took youngest in to dr. and came out with ADHD diagnosis. We have long suspected and tried to help him the best we knew how, but I guess it's really a relief for him and us. For him he knows it's not his fault and for us that we can find ways to help him. The journey isn't over, but just beginning in a new way.

I always appreciate your view of life and you challenge me to stifle the negative thoughts and words and work to be more positive and encouraging. Thank you!