Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Roses and Thorns

My family is quite blessed in the fact that we are able to have supper together many times during the week. I know with busy lives, that can be hard to do. One thing we do at supper, whether it's at home or out somewhere, is share roses and thorns. We always start with Elli....she will then share her rose, she never has a thorn (she's 3....her life is full of roses); and then she chooses who will go next. Everyone must share a rose, because even on the worst days....we all have something to be thankful for. You don't have to have a thorn, because many days are thorn free :)! In my Christmas card this year, I enclosed a list of roses and thorns from the year past; and I've been told that many are now adopting that tradition for their own supper table :) !
Yesterday I went to the preschool, which happens to be in our church, where I have worked (taking time off when I had babies) for approximately 11 years. We were having an inservice training, a grandma shower for one of the directors, and some time to get our rooms ready for our sweet little ones to return. I LOVE that school with all my heart, and a large part of that is due to the fabulous ladies that I work with and for. I truly could NOT ask for a better job. The director of the school, Evelyn, is one of the kindest and Godliest women I have ever met. I adore her....as does everyone who works for her. I remember when I interviewed for the job, so many years ago, that she told me her motto: God First, Family Second, Job Third! I LOVE that. Evelyn has been the director of our beloved preschool for over 30 years. All 5 of my children have or are still going to this school. I truly cannot express how much I love CLC (Creative Learning Center), and how much I love that it is in our church and works closely with our pastors....it's a true blessing! The day we got out of school for Christmas break, we received an email from LuAnn who is the Assistant Director. It explained that Evelyn had been diagnosed with breast cancer....gasp....deep breath....tears! Over the holiday break, she had bone scans, MRI's, CAT scans, etc. to check for more cancer....and there was....gasp....deep breath....tears! While we were there yesterday, Evelyn explained everything that had happen and everything that was yet to come....the mastectomy, the reconstruction, the chemo, the radiation, the hair loss, etc. As she spoke, it was quiet as we absorbed. Then there were some tears, lots of questions, hugs, prepartion of meals for her and her husband, the prayer garland that we are starting and much more. As the conversation about the dreaded CANCER came to a close, Evelyn looked my way and said.....through all of this, there are always roses! She's right, there is a rose to be found....even amidst the thorn....there's roses! Pray for Evelyn!

No comments: