Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Baby.....

"A mother's body remembers her babies-the folds of soft flesh, the softly furred scalp against her nose. Each child has its own entreaties to body and soul. It's the last one, though, that overtakes you. I can't dare say I love the others less.... A first child is your own best foot forward, and how you do cheer those little feet as they strike out. You examine every turn of flesh for precocity, and crow it to the world. But the last one: the baby who trails her scent like a flag of surrender through your life when there be no more coming after.... She is the babe you hold in your arms for an hour after she's gone to sleep. If you put her down in the crib, she might wake up changed and fly away. So instead you rock by the window, drinking the light from her skin, breathing her exalted dreams. your heart bays to the double crescent moons of closed lashes on her cheeks. She's the one you can't put down."

Orleanna Price from The Poisonwood Bible! written by Barbara Kingsolver

1 comment:

The Blankenship Family said...

Oh my goodness!!!1 This is so TRUE!!! I held Baby Ryan last night for almost a whole hour asleep on my lap with his little soft head on my shoulder. I completely agree with this writing! I adore each one of my precious children, but there's something about that last one - I told Steve last night that I am just so in love with this little boy! Thanks for sharing and it was GREAT to see you, B and E today at Sonic!!!