Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Bryna Mae...the beginning of the crooked teeth!

It's official....Bryna is on board to crooked teeth. Between NPayne and myself, our children are destined to have crooked teeth. Once they start losing those sweet little tiny baby teeth, they start growing in those huge and very crooked big people teeth. NPayne and I have already determined that we will be paying for braces for approximately 10-11 years straight.....hellooooo....we could buy a brand new car for that amount of money, BUT I do know that braces were a good thing in my young pre-teen life. Although quite uncomfortable to endure, I was so grateful to have my big ol' buck teeth pushed back into my head where they were suppose to be. NPayne was never afforded the luxury of braces, his mama just couldn't afford them for him, and he has always regretted never getting them.....NPayne, if you're reading this, remember that I was completely okay with you getting braces after we were married....your choice babe! Addi currently has braces, Cal and Drew will definitely need braces; so I'm assuming that Bryna and Elliot will as well. I'm hoping all of my younger 4 will be like Addi and wait it out, so we don't have to do that whole expander and 2 sets of braces thing. When I first started taking her to the orthodontist, recommendation by my dentist, one ortho. said let's start today.....we will put in an expander, then her 1st set of braces, then wait a year and do the 2nd set. HUH???? The second ortho. said....if she is patient, and waits until she loses some baby teeth; she will only need braces once. HOWEVER if she is bothered or self conscious by her crooked teeth, we can go ahead with an expander......hellooooo.....we are going to go ahead and save a little moola that we don't have handy right now and wait.....besides she wasn't one bit self conscious about it. As a matter of fact, when we left the ortho. I said something like Are you okay with waiting a while? And she said something like sure mom...."Do you think I need braces?" Without thinking I immediately replied with the following...."Well Yeah"....Have you looked at your teeth ?(I didn't actually say that second part out loud, but I sure was thinking it). Anyhoo here we go again....losing teeth, crooked teeth, big people teeth = growing up way too fast for this mama's liking! BOO HOO! Of course her tooth wasn't really lose enough to be pulled, but she knocked it out while doing somersalts in the front yard. Talk about a lost tooth, that was definitely the case, we never did find the tooth in the grass....it was really lost!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Having braces is not actually a luxury; it just happened that it’s costly due to the delicate materials that are used. And installation is not that easy. Many of us would spend a lot just to have perfectly aligned teeth. And I think it wouldn’t be too much if we spend some for the oral health of our little ones.

Bettye @BackMountainDental.com

Lorie said...

Bettye....crooked teeth are a first world problem. Yes braces are a luxury in my opinion. Feeding your family is more important than thousands of dollars on straight teeth. Fortunately we can provide both for our children, but many cannot....like my mother in law. She was widowed when my husband was one years old with 3 kids to care for. She worked hard and a lot, but braces for one was all she could do. Oral health really doesn't always have to do with straight teeth. My husband has very healthy and crooked teeth! It's all about perspective and what a "luxury" really is. Braces are a luxury!