Thursday, May 14, 2009

Meet The Nash Family

We live in a big city with a small town feel which I really LOVE....downtown we have an Opry House, a real live Main Street where they hold parades, festivals, concerts and all sorts of great things for children. We also have a working farm nearby....remember it's a big city, so this is a unique attribute....a working farm right smack dab in the middle of the city. On the farm, lives the Nash Family....hmmm....I found myself humming the tune to "Old McDonald" when I typed that...."And on this farm, there lived The Nash Family, E-I-E-I-O!" Anyhoo....I don't know what their real name is, but that's the name I have given them. The Nash family consists of a mama, a daddy, a toddler (who I think is a boy) and a pet dog....the interesting thing about The Nash family is that they're scarecrows!!! Yes, I mean perched atop a large stick standing out on the farm to scare crows. Do they actually scare crows???? I honestly don't know, you would have to ask them; but they sure do look darn cute and not one bit scary. I do wonder if they wish for a brain, or a heart, or whatever it was that The Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz wished for. We drive by the farm and The Nash family just about every day, since it is walking distance from our schools. The Nash Family is always hanging out (LITERALLY....geesh I crack myself up sometimes), scaring off crows, or whatever it is they do. They are always dressed very stylish and oftentimes their clothes and accessories coordinate with the upcoming holiday or season. I wish I had taken a picture of their little one when he was just a baby, because I'm here to tell ya....it was so stinkin' cute....Mrs. Nash had him all swaddled up in a sling; but as you can see....he's growing up way too fast as all children do....sniff sniff! I do know, from reading an article in our local paper, that this is Mrs. Nash's second marriage....as her first husband (who will remain nameless out of respect and, because I have no clue what to call him) was destroyed by vandals leaving her completely brokenhearted and alone....you might be snickering as you read this, but I know that part is true! Poor Mrs. Nash, BUT then someone had the brilliant idea to introduce her to Mr. Nash (the dashing scarecrow of a man) and wouldn't ya know it....they hit it off fabulously. Was this an arranged marriage? Frankly I have no idea, and it's none of my beezwax! They were united in a scarecrow marriage...and not too long after....they welcomed baby Nash. I know what you're thinking.....and I have no idea what the gestation period for a scraecrow is, so it's really none of our business :)! Since then, my family has enjoyed watching The Nash family add a pet to their family as well. It's always interesting to see what Lil' Nash is doing when we drive by. In the picture, you can see that he's attempting to climb a ladder, as mothers....we might think that seems unsafe....but what's acceptable in their home doesn't have to be acceptable in yours :)! As things change and evolve with The Nash Family, I'll keep you updated! For now, try to enjoy my "drive by" picture I took of them the other day....actually it was a "Stop in the middle of the lane and take a quick photo while holding up traffic picture!" Nonetheless I got a picture.
The Nash Family

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute, fun idea!!

The Blankenship Family said...

Oh, Lorie! All 3 of our kids just LOVE the Nash Family (that's what we call them, too!) I especially loved when they were courting . . . one week he gave her flowers, one week she was holding a menu, and how could we forget the honker of an engagement ring (you know - you have to be able to see it from the street) with the "Will You Marry Me?" Sign). They are simply precious!!!