Wednesday, December 10, 2008

B-Nut's Special Day....of course she's special every day!

I absolutely LOVE, I mean ADORE, my children's preschool. It happens to be at our church, which I also LOVE and ADORE. All 5 of my children have attended, and I have taught there (off and on and between birthing babies); since my Addi Jo (age 11) was 18 months old. This year, B-Nut and Elli-oooo both attend; and I work one day/week there. B-Nut is in the actual preschool while Elli-oooo attends the Mother's Day Out program. This will be B-Nut's last year to attend, as she will starting kindergarten next year. At our preschool, they have what is called A SPECIAL DAY. This is a day, not necessarily around their birthday, that is chosen by their teacher to honor that particular child. Yesterday was B's SPECIAL DAY. On this day, the child being honored gets to do many super things that the teacher plans out. In B's class, her teacher Ms. Peggy, makes this the most fabulous and special honor for the child; and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Let me preface this by telling you that B knew her special day crown was going to be pink....the child gets to choose the color, so she requested to wear something pink and to wear her hair in such a way that "the special day crown will fit comfortably." She also gets to choose a snack to bring to share with the class and a special book. B, was torn between bringing cupcakes or donuts, but since the snack is at 9:30; we really encouraged her to bring donuts. I know.....I know.....both are loaded with sugar, but somehow I feel better about giving the children a sugar buzz off of glazed donuts rather than cupcakes. Ms. Peggy gives the Special Day Child a gift, that she has found in nature, in other words a true gift from God. This is B opening the box.

In the box was a beautiful sparkly rock that Ms. Peggy had found when she was visiting a river. The child shows everyone in the class and then puts it in the nature center for everyone to enjoy for a few days before returning it to nature.
Parents are invited to come and celebrate in the morning. Ms. Peggy really likes daddys to come. This is me and B, in her pink crown.
Here are B and Ms. Peggy...her wonderful teacher. Ms. Peggy was also Addi Jo's and Drew's teacher.
Here is NPayne reading the special story that B chose to bring to school to share. She chose to bring Dream Snow by Eric Carle. It's a fabulous book.
B also gets to be the leader and the weather/calendar girl for the day. She gets to use her "Weather Girl" voice and use the microphone.
Here is the class playing a game.
B also got to be the drummer, in the class band, and choose the songs to sing and play. She chose "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Jingle Bells."
Here is the class band in action.
Here is my very special Bryna....she is special every single minute of every single day!
There's the very honorable SPECIAL DAY CHAIR!
WOW....Was that fun or what? We are so blessed to be a part of such a special school with such special people, and I can honestly say that besides being a mama; working there is the best job in the whole world.

1 comment:

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Hello Friend! I feel like it's been forever since I "talked" to you last, but I've been visiting to keep up on things. It's been hectic the last few days...

What a wonderful opportunity for both of you to be there for B's special day! She looked so pretty and honored. What a great boost to self esteem! She looked like she had a fabulous time. Thanks for sharing with us.

Loved the new picture of the kids all piled up. What fun and you got them all looking at the camera! That wouldn't happen in my house!

You have poured your heart out in so many of your post this last week. Thank you for sharing with us. I've been thinking of you in the craziness of life...