Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sunday Sermon Summary

It's Tuesday....very early in the morning, and I am just now writing the Sunday Sermon Summary post....Yes I know, I know, I usually write it on well...uh Sunday; but I was busy. I have a life, outside of blogging, people....(NPayne will beg to differ with me on that one). Actually I was awakened by 2 sweet little girls about an hour ago....and I'm still awake....hence "Being awakened in the middle of the night" is one of my Pet Peeves.
Anyhoo here is the summary.....
This past Sunday was the 4th Sunday in Advent....the Sunday of Love All in our church's theme of Simply Christmas. Pastor Ken talked about many things that really hit home with me. He read Luke 1: 46b-55....46And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, 47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, 48for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;49for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. 50And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. 51He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; 52 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate;53he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty.54He has helpedhis servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, 55 as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever."
Read that over a few times and let it soak in. Then remember that God sees us for who we are in our sin, frailties, mistakes, etc. Then realize that God also sees us for who we can be. He knows our potential. He calls you and invites you to a place where you can reach your potential.....it can be out on the edge of your comfort zone, but He wants you to call on Him to help you. Many things that you may be gifted at doing may also be things that make you nervous or uncomfortable....that is sort of the point....if it was always easy, you wouldn't need to count on Him, lean on Him, cling to Him for guidance and support. He wants you to call on Him, and He is there ready to support you. In this subject....Love All....think about all of the things people do out of "love" around Christmas....adopt a needy family or child, donate food to the local food bank, donate time to help at a shelter or to help someone in need.....NOW think about what if that "love" was extended to the day after Christmas and the day after that and the day after that....you get where I'm going here? Continue the "love" all year long....make an effort to do it 365 days instead of a few days this year. Did you know that Americans spend $450 BILLION each year on Christmas....that's each year? Did you know that it would cost $10 BILLION to provide clean water to everyone in the world? You see where I'm going with this....$450 Billion on "stuff".....$10 Billion on life! Remember this season the life that was given to you, to me, to us in order that we may live eternal life in God's Kingdom! Just remember!
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Dear Friend,

Oh so very well said! Thank you so much for posting this. You know I struggle with this time of year - it's all the stuff that I see people buying - it's just stuff. It's all the stuff laying around our home - stuff. My dream: investing my time and love in our children, establishing and helping to develop their relationship with Him. I dream of our children doing mighty things for Him. You've been such a blessing to me and I am thankful for your friendship, your wisdom, your honesty, and the insight that you share.

Elyse said...

Remembering the reason for the season over here too. You said it so right!
~Elyse~