Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Children.....they really hear God!

Tonight was the shopping night for my 3 older girls. Each year, they use their allowance, money they have earned or made and go shopping for their family, friends and special people in their lives. You have to understand....this is a well thought out and planned shopping trip complete with lists and plans on how to split up, so they won't see what they are buying for each other. It's actually pretty fabulous to witness, and I love the fact that they spend so much time choosing gifts for the people they love. My girls, at least my older two, really and truly know the meaning of Christmas; and that almost brings me more joy than my heart can physically hold. As for Bryna, my 5 year old, she enjoys shopping for others; but occasionally I still get the....Can I have this? question. I am happy that at least now when I gently remind her that "we are buying gifts for others", she will continue to browse and doesn't end up in a meltdown. Although Bryna can still get a bad case of the gimmees.....I know that this little girl really hears God. This became evident to me tonight on our way to Dollar Tree (the dollar store where everything really is $1). The girls were chatting and giggling, and the radio was on our local christian music station. I could barely hear a lady talking, and although I couldn't hear what she was saying....I could tell that her voice was quivering; so I turned it up. As we listened to this lady's heartbreaking story about her gravely ill little girl, Drew and Addi became quiet; but Bryna she continued to giggle. Drew tried to shush her, but Bryna giggled a little more; and then she said something. I didn't hear what she said, and I began to lecture her about being respectful of other people's pain. When I quit rambling long enough to notice, I could hear her quiet voice and what she was saying. She said, "Mama, I was praying!" I immediately knew that her giggles weren't at the expense of someone else's pain, but they were because she was listening and could really hear the voice of our Lord. I don't know what He was telling her about that lady and her sick little girl, but it was good stuff. It made me feel so much peace for this woman, on the radio, whom I have never met and her ill child; and I am so thankful that children can really hear God when He speaks to them. As we get older, I think it's so much easier to tune Him out (unintentionally); and it's so much more difficult to BE STILL and listen and then celebrate and giggle at what He tells us. I love when my God makes me giggle, and I am going to really really listen. I am so thankful for this gentle reminder,,,, this busy time of year.....and I am always in the mood for a good giggle.

1 comment:

jenn said...

Love this post. My daughter is two and at completely random times she'll say, "Mommy let's pray for my friends." and we have to name them all. I'm glad for little reminders like that.