Friday, December 19, 2008

To All of My Bloggy Friends....Use Your Imagination!

You walk out to your mailbox and excitedly retrieve your many Christmas cards that are waiting for you.....Including this one! You see a small but very thick green envelope addressed to you from your bloggy friend....Lorie at Thinking Out Loud! You gently and anxiously tear open the small but very thick green envelope to find..... This strangely thick card, and you read this Christmas message from your bloggy friend!

Then you begin to unfold the accordian type of creation to find the following pictures attached to the greeting.....

You open up the accordian type of creation to reveal the entire front of the card! There you see the entire Payne family and our dog Finn with a green bow on his head!

As you are looking at the picture, you casually flip the accordian type of creation over and find....

You, once again, unfold the accordian type of creation to reveal the following pictures of my 4 sweet princesses and my 1 sweet prince!

As you are gazing at all of the pictures....a letter falls out....it's my annual Christmas letter!

It's a long read, are you ready? Maybe you better go get yourself a snack and a cup of something warm to drink....then settle in to read! Pay special attention to the closing (red letters)!

I enjoy Christmas, but really I am a Thanksgiving kind of girl; so this holiday season I decided to write why I am thankful for each individual person in my family.
Why I am thankful for Addison (age 11)….She is one of the most generous people I know and truly enjoys doing for others. Addi has been deemed “My Adult Assistant,” because she is so helpful with her siblings and really loves each one of them with all of her heart. I am thankful that she is content with what she has and doesn’t ask for much. She is willing to work for things she wants. She will often buy one of her siblings, a friend, or relative a gift just because she loves them. I am thankful that she is so creative and full of imagination….she writes great stories and plays, and I love to read them. She is becoming a great musician, and I am thankful that she embraces that God given talent. I am thankful that she is determined but doesn’t get disgruntled when things don’t work out the way she had intended. She is very easy going and makes good choices and for that I am very thankful. I am thankful that she loves me, respects me and enjoys keeping me company even though she’s almost a teenager.
Why I am thankful for Callahan (age 9)….He is a simple and a complex child all at the same time. Cal has taught me to appreciate simple things and not take ANYTHING for granted. I am thankful that Cal is learning and making so much progress, and I am thankful that he is becoming more flexible; but I am also thankful that he is very structured and organized. I am thankful that Cal will now give me a hug and knows what it means when I say “I love you.” Cal is a gentle soul, and he appreciates his sisters. I am thankful that Cal is very cautious and therefore really keeps a close eye on Elliot or any toddler in his sight. I am thankful that Cal’s vocabulary has blossomed over the last few years, and I can carry on a somewhat “meaningful” conversation with him. I am thankful for how much he loves his daddy. I am thankful that because of Cal’s differences, I am a better person.
Why I am thankful for Drew (age 7)….She is a kindred spirit and an old soul. I am thankful that she has my sense of humor, so she laughs a lot. Drew treasures all of God’s creation, and I am thankful she is so nurturing and loving towards our earth. I am thankful that Drew is a very responsible 7 year old, and I am thankful that she ADORES her cutie patootie (Elli). I am thankful that Drew is very creative and blesses me with a beautiful piece of Art, that she has created for me, each week. Drew loves to play piano and enjoys practicing, and for that I am thankful. I am thankful that Drew has a kind heart and embraces all people and their differences. I am thankful that Drew is tidy but isn’t afraid to get dirty. Drew wants to be a mommy with a lot of children and is truly a homebody. I am thankful that she respects me as her mother and pays me the compliment of wanting to be “just like you” when she grows up. I am thankful that she tries to be a good example for her little sisters.
Why I am thankful for Bryna Mae (age 5)….She always has a smile on her face and a song rolling off her tongue. Bryna turns everything into a song and dance, and I am thankful that she keeps me entertained. Bryna has a very jolly giggle and a hearty laugh and for that I am thankful. I am thankful that she is a “girly” girl (out of 4 girls, I needed one girly girl). I am thankful that Bryna is full of love and tells me that she loves me about a gazillion times a day. I am thankful that she wants to sit on my lap or snuggle with me any chance she can get. She is one person, I know, who truly has a joyful heart and is happy about everything. I am thankful that she has finally outgrown the terrible twos…now that she’s five. I am thankful that she loves to learn, explore, create and perform. Bryna loves her siblings with all of her heart, and for that I am so thankful. I am thankful that she plays with Cal. She is very laid back and easy to amuse, and she has a sweet spirit. I am thankful that we have date day on Thursday, and I am thankful that she enjoys being with me.
Why I am thankful for Elliot (age 2)….She is smart as a whip and cute as a button. Elli is a redhead (actually strawberry blonde), but for that I am thankful (I always wanted a redhead). I am thankful that she walks and talks and eats and prays and laughs and cries and sleeps and loves us all. I am thankful that she’s growing (but I wish it wasn’t going by so fast). I am thankful that she loves to learn, read, color, sing and dance. I am thankful that I have had the chance to treasure, really treasure, having another baby in my house. I am thankful that she looks like my dad, and I am thankful that she has a mind of her own (really I am). She is very ticklish and loves to play with her sisters and brother. I am thankful that they all love to play with her as well. I am thankful that she LOVES her daddy and truly jumps up and down with pure joy when she sees him. She is very funny and keeps us laughing every day, and I am always thankful for laughter. I am thankful for this surprise blessing that we received a little over 2 years ago….how I do love surprises.
Why I am thankful for Neil…He helped me take the photo of our family on this Christmas card. Do you know how challenging it can be to get 5 children and 2 adults all smiling and looking at a camera that is set on self timer? You should have seen the goofy things he was doing to get the kids to smile. He knew it was important to me to take a family photo, so he set it all up and took the photos (during a Cowboy game I might add) He has made many sacrifices, so I could stay home with our children. Everyone, in our family, has done without many wants and sometimes a few needs; but Neil really never asks for anything for himself. He supports me and helps keep me grounded when I get overwhelmed or have had tragic things occur. He loves me unconditionally and tells me so often. He pays me compliments often and NEVER agrees with my self criticism. He loves our children with all of his heart, and he knows how blessed he is to have each one of them. He is a great father for a child with special needs, and he has been brought to tears with the most common or simple accomplishment that Cal may complete. He supports his daughters, and he embraces each one and her unique gifts and talents. He has never come home when there is laundry all over the couch, dishes still in the sink and toys all over the floor and asked me “What have you been doing all day?” He appreciates what it takes to be a stay home parent, but he doesn’t EVER want to be one. He respects me as a mother, wife and person. He enjoys the simple things in life! He is my soulmate!
I am thankful that my children really treasure each other and love being a part of a somewhat large family. If we told them today that we were having, adopting, fostering another child….they would all be thrilled and overjoyed. I am thankful that I live in America. I am thankful for my church, Jesus, family, friends, schools, teachers, Cal’s therapists, our jobs, my self made business, our house, food, clothing, water, cars, our dog….I am thankful for being rich, not in a monetary sense of the word, but in a spiritual, life living sense of the word.
A few extras…Addi raised $1,080 this past October by organizing and running a lemonade stand. She donated all the money to Autism Speaks in honor of Callahan. If you would like to donate to her cause, go to
www.autismspeaks.com. If you would like to keep up with our family, day to day, you can visit my blog at www.thinkingoutloud-byamom.blogspot.com.
If you are receiving this letter, I am thankful for you too!
Lorie and the Payne Train
***A little side note*** I use to think writing a Christmas letter would be strange, because what would I have to share? Then about 5 years ago, I decided it was a great way to share things about my precious family with our family and friends who we don't see very often. The letter is always written from me and me only but signed from us all....NPayne said it was silly for me to write the letter as if he were sitting beside me writing it with me....imagine us snuggled up in front of the laptop, smiling and looking longingly into each others eyes as we in complete unison wrote our letter....NOT. He also thought some of the stuff I wrote (the first year) was cheesy (which it probably was....I think I gushed a lot). This year, I took a chance and changed it up, and I just wrote why I am so very thankful for each person in my family; along with many other things I am so very thankful for. Honestly each year, when I write the letter, I write exactly what I am thinking and feeling at that very moment and don't change a thing....except for typos; because that is what is on my heart when I write it. This year, not unlike other years, I have been so extremely thankful to God for all that I have; and I decided to share it! I am glad that I started a blog, and that I have met so many wonderful people through blogging!
I wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

3 comments:

Elyse said...

MERRY CHIRSTMAS Payne family!!!! Ya'll are a true blessing and a wonderful family. Lorie...thank you for being such a wonderful bloggie friend and sharing your family with me. Oh and by the way...Christmas letters rock!
~Elyse~

tiarastantrums said...

beautiful card!

Leanne said...

Tahnks for sharing your Christmas card and letter. I've always hesitated to write a Christmas letter as the ones I get often seem to be a list of their families' many accomplishments, which depress me, because I'm still working on potty training my 5 year old.
Still, you've encouraged me to see it from a different perspective, so maybe I'll try it sometime.
It sounds like you have a wonderful family and much to me thankful for!