Monday, January 19, 2009

Sunday Sermon Summary - Faith and Worry

25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God[
a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Matthew 6:25-34

Today's sermon focused on faith in uncertain circumstances. Pastor Ken began with the above scripture (which truly leaves little more to be said about having faith and not worrying). Although that scripture really sums it up, Pastor Ken chose not to have a 5 minute sermon and go ahead and expound on this scripture.....thank goodness; because this scripture hits a little too close to my homefront. He explained that worry pushes away faith. If you are consumed in worry, then your faith in the Heavenly Father and what He can do for you may waver. If you are worried about a particular circumstance, The Bible says to pray about that circumstance and give it to God! Phillipians 4:6 6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 1 Peter 5:7 says....7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. This is a huge struggle for me personally, not because I doubt God's love for me, but because I want to control the circumstance with which I am worried about. My patience is very thin when it comes to something I am worried about and while I'm waiting for a response from God.....I need it NOW, at least that's how I feel in most circumstances in which I choose to worry; but truthfully worry doesn't solve anything. Worrying is a choice....you either choose to worry or choose not to worry. Charles Barkely says, "worry is irreligious" it takes the focus away from God and puts it on the person who is worrying. I will admit that I worry a lot, but over the last few years; I have learned to pray a lot as well and to really listen and try to find God's direction in my circumstance of worry. NPayne is really good at this. He use to not be so good at it, and he use to worry about things (mainly financial) that pertained to our future or our children's future....buying them a car, sending them to college, etc. NPayne grew up in a family that had very little money, so from a young age he worked for most of what he had and sometimes to even help his mom pay their bills. His dad died when he was a baby, so his mom had to work a lot to make ends meet and care for her 3 children. It was tough times for his family, and he remembers the struggles with their finances. When we first became parents, we were in disagreement (a little) about our responsibilities to our children financially. I was raised in an upper middle class home and am an only child. My mom always said I was spoiled, but not spoiled rotten; because she and my dad chose to buy me nice things but not because I asked for them. I am grateful for the things my parents were able to provide for me....a car, a college education, fabulous vacation, and much more. I would love to provide some of those things for my children as well, but realistically I know that we won't be able to. After much discussion, NPayne and I realized something.....he wanted to give our children EVERYTHING that his mom couldn't give him (braces for their teeth, a car to drive, a college education); and I was okay with our children having to work for some of those things. After further discussion, we both realized that the main thing we need to provide for our children is what our parents provided for us.....LOVE! We also need to provide them with stability and a growing relationship with Jesus. NPayne had a discussion with one of my dearest friends, Todd, who happens to be one of my friends that I have known the longest; and who also happens to be married to Joey (one of my Lifelong friends). Todd and Joey have 6 children, and he owns his own business; so they are self insured as well. One day he and NPayne were talking, and Todd shared with my sweet husband that he didn't worry about finances....he knew God would provide. He even gave NPayne some examples of when he KNEW God had provided for his family. Todd definitely shows faith of a mustard seed. That 30 minute discussion changed NPayne's "worry" about finances and providing for his family forever. He trusts in God, and he knows He will provide for us. The Bible tells us in Phillipians 4:11-13 that we need to be content with what we have and trust in God for strength to get us through difficult times....11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ,[a] who gives me strength. Honestly I have to remind myself of that daily, and I have to get on my knees daily and let Him know that I am here and ready to listen and wait patiently for direction when I am worried about something.....I have found that when I think about all of the people in the world (who have a lot more to worry about than I but are completely content in their circumstance), I feel really selfish about my choice to worry in a circumstance. I am ready to think about God's love, grace and mercy; and I am ready to not be a worrier....I never said it was going to be easy, but I am going to give it 100%! I am vowing to choose not to worry....Have Mercy! I am going to need prayers to help me overcome this one!

No comments: