Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday Sermon Summary....Pressure of Uncertainty

This week's sermon, once again, was based on times of uncertainty. I think I must be a self centered christian, because I am absolutely positive that these sermons are all written for me (wink wink)....I am living in a state of uncertainty at this point in my life. Are you?

The scripture this week was Exodus 32:1-6

1 When the people saw how long it was taking Moses to come back down the mountain, they gathered around Aaron. “Come on,” they said, “make us some gods who can lead us. We don’t know what happened to this fellow Moses, who brought us here from the land of Egypt.”
2 So Aaron said, “Take the gold rings from the ears of your wives and sons and daughters, and bring them to me.”
3 All the people took the gold rings from their ears and brought them to Aaron. 4 Then Aaron took the gold, melted it down, and molded it into the shape of a calf. When the people saw it, they exclaimed, “O Israel, these are the gods who brought you out of the land of Egypt!”
5 Aaron saw how excited the people were, so he built an altar in front of the calf. Then he announced, “Tomorrow will be a festival to the Lord!”
6 The people got up early the next morning to sacrifice burnt offerings and peace offerings. After this, they celebrated with feasting and drinking, and they indulged in pagan revelry!


The longer Moses is gone, the more the pressure builds. The people get nervous and uncertain, so they give into the pressure.....they build an idol, a God! Isn't it ironic how they break the first 2 commandments, under pressure of uncertainty, while Moses is actually receiving the tablets that state these commandments?
Pastor Ken says pressure and uncertainty cause you to act differently and treat people differently, and I believe that to be so....at least for most folks. I know it has been so with me, it's a conscious effort....a choice you have to make. When things are difficult, it's a good time for us to stop and think about our lives! What can I learn from where I feel pressure? Caving in to pressure and uncertainty doesn't make you a bad person, in fact I believe it is a normal reaction for the majority of the population. Pastor Ken gave the following examples.....Esau....he traded his birth right for a bowl of soup....the pressure of being hungry! Then there was David....he gave into the pressure of temptation with Bathsheba which ultimately resulted in a death and a birth! How about Peter....he gave into the pressure when Christ was about to be crucified! All of these men turned out to have good lives....they aren't bad men, because they caved into the pressure; but they did make mistakes.....we all do. These men learned and grew from their mistakes. Remember to think about your life when facing surmounting pressures and the choices you make. Turn to the Savior.....Jesus was tempted in the dessert for 40 days by Satan, and He never gave in. Now believe me, I know there is no other Savior and Jesus was perfect (and we are far from perfect); however you can turn to Him when you are facing pressures....ask Him for guidance, wisdom, strength, and know that He loves you. He is with you....no matter what you are facing. Be still and listen! Pastor Ken gave an example of the first time he went kayaking in the river. He said, although he had been warned, that it was different from kayaking in a swimming pool....where the water is still; he immediately gave into the pressure of the moving water in the river and flipped his boat upside down. On his second attempt, he had learned what the pressure felt like, and he was able to control his boat much better. We are all going to end up upside down in a boat at some point or points in our lives. The question isn't when the pressure will come,but what will we do when it comes? How do you respond when pressure comes? It will come! I am living in a state of uncertainty at this point in my life, but I am not uncertain about my faith and the love of my Lord! I know He loves me right on through these uncertain times!

1 comment:

Shanda said...

My kayak has been upside down more than once (figuratively & in reality!) Thank God for His grace and His mercy. Thank you for this reminder to be on guard when the pressures of life begin to build!

I am now hosting the Titus 2 Tuesdays. (with Sarah's blessing) I'd love for you to join in! I enjoyed your previous postings!