Saturday, January 3, 2009

Who Would Have Thought....

When I started my blog, just a short few months ago, I never imagined that people would actually read it (except maybe my mom). Call me cooky, but I honestly had no idea how this whole thing worked. After a few posts, I received my first comment....when I read the e-mail that said I had a comment to moderate (which means I can decide to publish for readers to read or reject it), I was really nervous. I thought....who is commenting? I hope it's a nice comment. What if it's not? I was hesitant, but I read it; and surprisingly it was the beginning of a blogging friendship. I have received several comments since that day, and none of them have ever been rude or unkind.....thank goodness; but I still get nervous when I see a comment from someone I don't recognize. I was reading a few different blogs, over the last week, and I was completely surprised to see that there were some really rude comments left. Now I know if you leave your blog open for comments, you get what you get...and you don't throw a fit; BUT I don't think the originators of these blogs really had any idea that there would be such rude and hurtful comments. I mean....really attacks on the writers....about their character and choices they have made. I'm sort of confused now. Isn't YOUR blog suppose to be about YOU and YOUR life....goals, family, beliefs, choices, likes, dislikes, etc.? Shouldn't you feel comfortable blogging about those things on YOUR blog without being attacked? None of the writers, that I am referring to, have said or done anything but talk about their lives, their struggles, their joys, their beliefs. I guess if readers don't agree, they definitely have a right to say so in their comments; but for pity sake....can't we just be nice about it? If I ever receive a hurtful or rude comment, I'm not quite sure how I'll handle that....the blogs that I'm referring to (that received the hateful comments) published them for the readers to read; and you know what I find the most amazing? The readers who left the rude comments, all sign them as anonymous, which leads me to believe that they aren't comfortable with the fact that they are blatantly attacking someone else's character or choices. What do you think? And please.....let's just all be nice!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have it where I have to approve all new comments from bloggers I don't know. And those friendly ones get a free pass. I've had a couple of rude ones but I just send up a little prayer for them and hit the delete button :)

Elyse said...

I agree with FXSmom. Even though I do not have comment moderation, I approve all my comments and delete the ones that are not nice. My mom's mom will probably never get a blog, so I allow her to always comment.
I do agree that this is YOUR blog for YOUR opinions and for what it is worth, I do get mean comments and one has really set me off, but I say a little prayer and delete it. People have trouble thinking before they publish and I for one allow them to have their own opinion, but if it is rude, I delete it!

Sorry you have a mean comment! They are not easy for anyone to take!
~Elyse~

Elyse said...

Saw your comment and I guess I thought you recieved a bad comment. One another hand too...I don't understand either how some people can be so mean to people. One mystery I will never understand!
~Elyse~

Kristy said...

Just wanted to post a comment after reading what you wrote. Don't be nervous! It's my first time visiting your blog - I was on MckMama's blog, and reading the "It's not me Monday" post - and your "Thinking Out Loud" title was the first one I clicked on. Sounded like a name I would have given my blog if I had thought of it!

Kristy said...

Don't be nervous - I am a first time viewer of your blog! I was on MckMama's blog and reading the "It's not me Monday" post, when I saw the title of your blog - yours was the first one I clicked on (the only one) - it sounded like a title I would have given my blog had I thought of it!