Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Camp Sol

I have a really great friend, Lisa, who is a music therapist at a children's hospital. She works with the oncology patients and their families - mainly their families and siblings. She has been able to use her wonderful talent and God given gift to help many families survive who have lost children to cancer, but if you have ever lost a child or know someone who has; you know that life is never the same, and there's a new "normal." It may get easier to cope with the loss, but there is always that hole in your heart and a piece of you that is missing. I personally have never lost a child (and for that I thank God daily), but one of my lifelong friends has experienced that excrutiating loss. Although I can't even begin to understand the grief, pain, confusion, anger, loneliness, and everything else that goes along with losing your child; I have witnessed those emotions in my lifelong friend fairly upclose and personal. From this there is one thing I know....some of those emotions never go away. They are always there and though they may be tolerated, those feelings are always lingering. With this being said, I also know that she needs me to pray for her every day and has asked me to do so. A few months after a death occurs, it's common for folks to get back to their lives and sort of forget about the emotions that these families (who have experienced the loss) are going through. We get back to our routines and sometimes forget to pray for them daily and let them know we still remember their suffering. It's part of the busyness of our lives, and I have been guilty of it as wll.
My friend, Lisa, has been involved with a grief camp for several years. I wanted to write about it and encourage anyone who has lost a child or knows someone who has to consider spending some time at Camp Sol.
Camp Sol is a non profit organization that is designed for families, who have suffered the death of a child, and have siblings in the home under 18 years of age. They offer two retreats per year (Spring and Fall), a back to school program and a holiday program. They help grieving families connect with other grieving families and heal together by sharing their experiences. I know, from my experience with my lifelong friend, that she often needs to share with someone who has actually experienced the loss that she has. As much as I am always there for her, I really have no idea what she is going through, so being with people who do can be a great form of healing. Camp Sol also incoorperates support groups for parents and siblings, a memorial service and traditional camp activites to help the family bond once again. It's designed to help the families learn how to have fun again.
Did you know on June 12, 2001 the United States Senate passed Senate Resolution 109. This designates the second Sunday in December as "National Childrens Memorial Day." Camp Sol observes this day by giving families (who have lost a child) a candle to light in a worldwide candle lighting ceremony. It begins in New Zealand and at 7:00 PM local time, candles are lit for one hour. This creates a 24 hour candle lighting observance to remember those families who have lost a child, sibling, grandchild or friend. I think it would be great if everyone observed this day whether you have suffered the loss of a child or not. Mark your calendars now for December 14th and light a candle at 7:00 PM and let it burn for an hour. While it's buring, take the time to pray for all the families you may or may not know who have lost a precious child. Take time to thank our fabulous maker for the children in your life. "Please take the time to breathe and remember....they existed. They exist, and we love and honor them."
For more information about Camp Sol, click the link on the right!

No comments: