Monday, October 20, 2008

One of My Treasures

If you have read my blog, you may know from a previous post that one of my treasures in life is hearing my boy, Cal, sing...especially when he doesn't know I'm listening. He sings every word to whatever song he is singing whether he knows the correct words or not. He enunciates precisely what he thinks the lyrics are saying (talk about some garbled lyrics); and he sings really loudly. Because of his autism, Cal didn't talk at all until he was 3 1/2 years old; but he has always sang songs. How, you might ask, did he sing and not speak? He use to hum the tune to the song perfectly with no words just humming. I knew exactly what he was singing, because the humming would be in perfect harmony/key/pitch with the song of his choice. I mean that boy was and still is the humming champion. Cal has always loved music and grown a lot through music therapy and singing.
My very favorite song is "Word of God Speak" by Mercy Me. I have loved that song from the first time I heard it, and it always brings me such a sense of peace. Last spring, I put that song on my cell phone as my ringtone. When someone is calling me (which is often), the chorus of that song will play. This past Friday night, we were busy making lollipops and playing together when Cal came up to me and said in his very deliberate way "Mom, listen to me sing it," and he began to sing. It only took a few seconds before I immediately recognized what he was singing....it was my favorite song. He didn't get most of the words right, but he sang the chorus perfectly; and the tune was right on the money. My heart literally skipped a beat, and I immediately got down on my knees and looked him in the eyes and began to sing with him. He grinned his biggest grin and kept on singing with me. For me, it was a breakthrough; as a mother of a child with autism/fragile X....it was a big breakthrough. I know that he knows how much I love that song, and although he hears it all the time (on my phone) and on my CD; he sought me out to sing it FOR me. I believe with my soul, that he did that, because he knows how much I would love to be serenaded by my prince. Although he doesn't understand many things that are intangible (feelings and emotions), he DOES know what it means when I say "I am proud of you." He wanted to make his mama proud, so he sang me my favorite song; and boy oh boy was I ever proud?
The chorus of my favorite song goes....Word of God Speak, would you pour down like rain? Washing my eyes to see, your majesty. To be still and know, that you're in this place. Please let me stay and rest, in your holiness. Word of God speak! I like to constantly be reminded of God's grace and holiness, and it was glorious to be reminded by my boy in perfect harmony!

2 comments:

Elyse said...

What a sweet treasure Cal gave you :) One of my favorite songs as well. What a way to say "love" from your son.
~Elyse~

Lorie said...

Thank you Elyse! I love reading your comments, they are always so kindly worded.