Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Clean up, Clean up...Everybody Do Their Share!

One of my favorite authors is one of my favorite pastors....Cindy. She writes an article for our local newpaper, and I look forward to reading them each time they are published. Actually I don't know if Cindy has written a book, but if and when she does (I have every confidence that some day she might); I would be one of the first to buy it and of course have it autographed. I have a ton of respect for her, and I just love to hear her preach, speak at events, and read her articles. She has made a huge impact on my life, and I thank God for her daily (and my other favorite pastors - you all know who you are). In a recent article I read, she wrote the following....

....I realized that tending to our daily chores helps keep us healthy, inside and out. It matters to us mentally that if you spill something you clean it up. It matters that you fix things that break. It matters that you haul your trash to the curb. It matters that you make your bed, wash your clothes and put them away. It matters that you keep your living area free of clutter and the air flowing through there fresh and clean....

I have thought about this often, and I realized that she has me figured out. My children (and maybe even NPayne) often think I nag them about cleaning up after themselves which I try not to do, but I do probably do from time to time. So instead of nagging, I'm going to lay it on the table and tell everyone what I want (warning...the following statements can sound very self serving, but they are not intended to, well maybe just a little (wink wink))....I want them to learn to take care of their things, because it is the right thing to do; and I want them to appreciate what they have. I want them to put their things away, so they can find them (and I can find them). I want them to help keep our house presentable for when company may unexpectedly come knocking (which actually happens often). I want them to clean up THEIR stuff, so I don't have to; and I can take care of MY daily chores. I want them to pick up, so I can clean up. But what I learned after reading this article is that the most important reason I want them to do their daily (or in our case more like weekly) chores is to keep themselves healthy inside and out. I want them to do their daily chores to keep me healthy inside and out. I want them to clean up spills, play with something and enjoy it and then put it away, put their dirty clothes in the hamper, etc. I want them to do their daily chores, because it matters.... and it does matter!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg...i totally agree. sadly I think my baby girl is the only one who sides with me...well and maybe matt. which is maybe a coincidence since we are all the fragile x mutations folks in the house...hmmm

Lorie said...

That is interesting, because my boy is by far the neatest and tidiest person in the house - maybe even more so than I am.

Lori said...

interesting way of looking at this... I try to keep the house clean, but I also want my sons to have fun and not feel like I'm on them all the time to put things away. we tend to play with a few different things and then clean all those items up and then take a few more out

Lorie said...

Oh how I would love it if my kids would get something out, play with it, put it away and then get something else out...I do have a couple of children who would do that and a couple that wouldn't even think about doing that. It's interesting how they come from the same parents but can be so different and so unique.

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I can think of way too many times that I've nagged my children, but I really wonder if I've just come out and told them what I want. I must say that the older they have gotten, the neater our house has become. This is a sad moment for me because it just means that my kids are growing up too quickly.

Lorie said...

My house isn't becoming neater really, but they do clean up much better. I don't know how many times I have said that as a mother you want nothing more than for you children to grow, but I just don't want it to happen so fast. It makes me so very sad to think about them growing up so fast as well. I appreciate the comment.

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I've really been thinking about what you said about telling the kids what you want. I've worked hard at this - I make sure I have their attention (TV has to be off) and they are looking at me. I tell them exactly what I need: chores done, TV off before Daddy pulls in the drive, help with dinner, laundry put away... Thank you so much for challenging me in this area. I appreciate all the help I can get! Keep up the great work!

Did you try to the pizza yet?

Lorie said...

I'm glad I posted that post if it is making a difference.

As for the pizza, it's on my grocery list for next week. I can't wait to make it. My girls will absolutely LOVE helping with it too.