Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Freedom At Last

B-Nut and Elli Ooooo and I just returned from a quick shopping trip to Target. While we were there, I let Elli ride in the back of the cart instead of the front with the seatbelt. She has only done this twice before, and she proved herself as trustworthy by staying on her bum the entire shopping trip. After we had gotten what we went to buy, and we were just browsing; she said "I out?" I pondered for a moment....is she ready? My requirement is that you have to ride in a cart with a seatbelt or a stroller with a seatbelt until you are two, and then depending on the child and if I think they are ready to be free at last....I will let them walk along side me. So far...I've only had 2 of my 5 children who were ready or even wanted to get out of the cart or stroller, hence they continued to stay strapped in until they were ready or too big for the seatbelts. I decided to give it a try, since we were through shopping. I watched her walk with a little sway as if to say to every passerby....."Hey, I'm out of the cart. Do you see this? She let me out." She walked a little ahead of me until I asked her to come back by me (which she did), and I was surprised....because she is very strong willed. She browsed through the clothes and shoes, as if SHE were the mother, then she began to help push the cart. As we approached the parking lot, she was helping push the cart; and IT happened....she tried to ever so quickly free herself from my boundaries. This resulted in me picking her up while pushing the cart (with B-Nut in the back - she was one of the 5 who would still prefer riding than walking). She was not happy about losing her freedom, and wailed loudly "I WALK. I WALK." Sorry Elli Ooooo, you lost your privelege this time, but we will try again soon! Overall she did a great job with her freedom of choice....I hope that sticks with her as she grows up.

No comments: